Monday, August 06, 2007

21st Century Digital Boy

Great news as I received my first international comment on the blog today. Well, at least the first international comment by someone I don’t personally know. It’s on the post where I discuss that Harry Potter could only take place in England and it is, well, interesting. Cool comment from an irish writer who happens to plug her book series on young wizards in the comment itself. Given the degree to which I pimp my blog, which goes up to and includes wearing a t-shirt that states “nobody reads my blog”, I fault no one for going the extra step for publicity.

However, the question as to just how people stumble across this site continues to baffle me. There are the people that I’ve told about it so I can understand those visitors. Theoretically there may be people typing “battling the current” into Google and then think that my blog is the best source of information for when you are heading upstream in life. But otherwise, how in the world do people end up here? I can’t imagine what they think other than “This dude apparently really, really likes Lindsay Lohan. And he could really use an editor.”

(That said, I am not technically lying when I say that I’ve created one of the most popular blogs around. According to Technorati, I typically rank in the top 2-5% of blogs on the internet. That’s the impressive stat that I always mention. I conveniently leave out that there are currently 93 million blogs (no joke), so I’m not as popular as I would like.)

That’s not the only strange online happening for me this week. I checked out my horribly neglected Myspace page and found this interesting message. It was from Kristal who described herself as a 25 year old girl who just moved to KC and was interested in meeting someone older and more mature. She said that she checked out my profile and saw that I was a cutie and would like me to send her a message and/or check out her webpage.

Now I know this is a scam and a fake profile. Not just because of the “Oh, come visit my other page.” Not because of the sheer insanity of a girl deciding to pick up a guy because she liked his MySpace profile. No, it’s because she said she looked at my profile and saw that I was a cutie.

I’ve been described as a cutie before, including by a St. Mary’s girl, but I wouldn’t go so far as call myself the sexiest man alive. Brad Pitt portraying me in a movie, that would exemplify awesomeness to the point that they would have to create another word for it. But looking at the picture in my profile on MySpace I wouldn’t call myself a cutie. That’s because there isn’t a single picture of me on the entire page. The picture in my profile is of Snoopy and sure Joe Cool is exactly what his name says he is you probably wouldn’t make a judgment about a person based on that picture. (Well, actually you would but it isn’t a good one.)

Still, you could always hope that someone would fall for you based on your incredible skill at web page design. Probably as likely as falling in love while buying groceries and that happens all the time. But it’s just not my preferred method.

(By the way, I’ve only watched a bit of The Pick Up Artist and I’ve quickly decided that this will be the greatest show of all time. A bunch of geeks, losers and dweebs are mentored by three Master Pick Up Artists (which is apparently an official title now) so that one day they too can claim the title. Will Mystery, J-Dog and The Matador be able to whip these guys into shape? How many times will you cringe while watching guys with worse games than I have? Why am I taking notes throughout the show? How did my agent miss this casting call? We’ll find out all of those answers and more thanks to VH-1, where music comes….well, nowhere I guess. There will at least be some playing in the background of the clubs at least. Maybe that counts.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

check this out. I'm totally building one.

t-shirt folder