Sunday, August 12, 2007

Comments...I got comments...




I have to say, the comments section on the blog has gotten quite a bit interesting as of late. Now I want to state up front that I really don’t care what people write in the comments. As long as they pass the human being filter I’m pretty much game for whatever anyone wants to share. This also means that I am open to people promoting their own work on my blog. Just when you do, at least make it clear that you actually read the posting. The writer from Ireland did that and it was one of the coolest things that has happened to me for a while. The comment promoting the Judy Garland newsgroup, not so much. Especially when you go to pitch.com and read their review of the same concert and see that the exact same comment posted there as well. I’m all for promotions, just as long as it is not the cut and paste variety.

(Actually, if you do check the Pitch review the pictures in it are Forester’s, one of the many trivia compatriots that I have assembled over the years. We are seemingly everywhere.)

On the other, more realistic comment, I wouldn’t say that Neko Case is my voice crush. She’s more along the lines of my “every ounce of my being” crush. The type where in the real world I claim to be smitten but what that means is that I’d follow her around like a sad puppy dog ruining any possible chance that I would even theoretically have. Obviously, I’m speaking from experience here. Basically, I’ve just always found Neko to be one of the coolest people around. She’s just so normal on stage and so cool and confident with so much talent it is incredible. I’m not joking when I say that the female lead in my novel (which I am going to start writing in, yikes, two months) is based partially on Neko. Which is more than enough of a reason to post another picture of her.

And I did see Julie making the top search terms in Yahoo, which was just hysterical. First, I have to point out that Yahoo doesn’t actually list the top search terms on their engine. You really wouldn’t want to see that list. Trust me, I know of which I speak. What they really show are terms that had a massive percent change from the previous day. Now I am partly to blame for that just due to my regular Julie Delpy web crawls but there is a more legitimate reason for her newfound popularity.

See, she has a new movie coming out called 2 Days in Paris that she wrote, directed and starred in as well as composed most of the music. It is about a young couple spending two days in Paris talking about their relationship, which seems to be the exact same plot as Before Sunset. I did read a review of it and the conclusion was “it doesn’t suck nearly as much as you would expect.” Because even as a fan I wonder about her writing, directing and acting at the same time. Remember, this is an actress who recorded a CD of original songs in something other than her native language. Julie writing songs in English is much like my writing my novel in French. Points for effort and style but the little mistakes make you wonder why you bought it in the first place.

Anyway, the movie is opening in KC at the end of the month so I’ll see it then. I mean, I still think she is an amazing actress and beautiful and I still have three movie posters in my apartment that feature her. As I get older and she gets older I still find her beautiful just in different ways. In Before Sunrise she was this ethereal French beauty, the type of girl you dream of seeing from afar. In Before Sunset she became the neurotic, somewhat flighty, woman whose flaws now accentuate her and give her depth. And what the hell, I’ll post a picture of her as well.

The five random CDs for the week (even though I still haven’t finished all the discs from last week):
1) Death Cab For Cutie “Transatlanticism”
2) Neko Case “Fox Confessor Brings the Flood”
3) Henry Rollins “Talk is Cheap Volume 4”
4) Wilco “Kicking Television”
5) The Subdudes “Primitive Streak”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.