Wednesday, November 29, 2006

My Own Private Cubicle

(I know I set a “Don’t talk about work” rule and this is the third day in a row where work will play a part. It’s more of a “Don’t talk about what I do, who I work for or who I work with” rule.)

I have a very strange seating arrangement at work. I am the only person from my department on my wing of the building. Honestly, every other person on this side of the floor reports to a different VP than I do. I ended up here because a year ago there was an empty cube and this is where I was placed. It leaves me on a little island in my own little self-contained workgroup. I love it, they just leave me in my little corner and let me be a subtle genius. It’s pretty cool.

There are some drawbacks, though. See, the weather started turning bad today and at three I started to notice a lot of people leaving work. I just figured that it was a case of people being too scared to drive in sleet and using it as an excuse to get out of work and put my headphones back on and went back to my spreadsheet. When I left at five I realized that my car was basically the only one in the parking lot. It was like a ghost town. It then dawned on me that they may have announced to the entire campus that they should go home early and I wasn’t notified about it. Not sure if I am proud of that or rather disturbed.

Still, the drive home was easy and it only took me five or ten minutes longer than it usually does. Tomorrow should be worse with the first real snow of the season but I like snow. It will make for a very interesting commute, though.

The other thing about the rather rough conditions this evening is that it meant that no one came out for trivia tonight. There were a grand total of five teams playing so of course this is the night that I am on fire answering a ton of questions right. We won, which is something that we haven’t done in ages at the Flea Market, but it almost doesn’t count. And I am still pissed about missing a Family Guy question (I thought James Woods was the name of the junior high as opposed to the high school). But I did know that Bill Clinton gave Monica Lewinsky “Leaves of Grass” to read, which should count for something.

And I don’t know if I’ll believe it until I see it but apparently in the KC magazine it states that trivia at the Flea Market is the in thing to do if you are single. This astounds me. First of all, this would make me cutting edge. Second, I’ve been playing there for six months and not only have I not hooked up with anyone but I can’t even imagine a situation where that would even have been feasible. Finally, does this mean that I have entered a world where my knowledge of pro wrestling and video games is considered to be attractive? Like maybe there are women coming to these games going, “You know what I look for in a husband? Someone who can identify the theme song to The Tick. And who can tell me what college team plays at Beaver Stadium.” Every time I think I’ve figured out this world I hear something like this and can’t figure out if I’m the coolest guy on the planet or the biggest loser or that I’m potentially both at the same time.

No comments: