Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Cleaning out the cobwebs...

What’s bouncing around my noggin right about now…

1) Writing about Big Country and Men at Work last night made me think about what I consider to be the most underrated band in history: Midnight Oil. Talk about a band that played with passion. Every single song seemed to be focused on changing the world. They played message songs a lot less heavy handed than U2 (ok, slightly heavy handed but at least they weren’t waving flags around during their stage show). If their lead singer looked more like Bono and less like a zombie they probably would be selling out arenas to this day. Hell, if their lead singer looked like Rob Zombie they’d probably be selling out shows left and right. They deserve more than being a footnote in music history.

2) Music history is a very strange little subject. Some bands are forgotten for selling no records while others are considered icons in the industry while selling nothing in the process. No one actually bought a Stooges record, it was just great seeing Iggy Pop live. People talk about Joy Division and the Replacements with awe but at the time they could barely get noticed outside of a small underground following. I’m not saying that Hootie and the Blowfish were better, just that building a musical legacy is a crapshoot.

3) Caught a bit of Dan Rather’s new show on HD-Net. There are certain people who should not be broadcast in high definition and Dan Rather is on the list. Not saying that I would look much better, seeing my acne (which will go away when I finish puberty, or so I’ve been told) transmitted across the nation in digital quality. The weird thing about high definition is that it seems more real than real life. I mentioned before watching Tift Merritt in high def to see what she looks like, which is insane because I stood right in front of her and talked to her for a few minutes one night. Somehow seeing her on tv felt more real though. Wow, that probably needs to be added to my list of “most depressing things I’ve ever written”.

4) How I Met Your Mother update: The show seems to be regaining its footing, though it still hasn’t hit the level it was at last year. Marshall and Lilly are back together, which was necessary from a story point of view. It was either that or get rid of Allyson Hannigan and I would be greatly depressed if that happened. It’s just a matter of time before Ted and Robin break up and here is my prediction on how it will occur. (Note: I haven’t read any spoilers, I just think I understand how plots work). Robin will over the course of the year begin to think more and more about settling down and starting a family while Ted becomes more involved with the skyscraper that he is designing. In the end Robin will give a “it’s the building or me” ultimatum and the building will win. Ted will then spend a couple of episodes depressed until he finally meets his dream woman (in my plot, a returning Victoria only because she was awesome.)

5) Two great moments in the show over the last two weeks. Number one: Ted explaining to Marshall how to ask a girl out “Hands in your pockets, shoulders slightly slumped, looking upwards in a manner of shy sensitivity.” It’s worked occasionally. And this week in Atlantic City with Barney playing the most bizarre poker game imaginable culminating with Marshall yelling “Split your tiles, if you find the jelly bean you’ll triple your money.” It’s funnier on tv.

No comments: