Sunday, January 29, 2006

A very slow weekend

(Look, I just said that I was going to try to be creative on Thursday nights. I never said that it would be good. It’s been a while since I’ve tried truly original pieces that aren’t taken directly from my life so it will be some time before I get back into the habit. Actually, since it was called “A Day in the Life…” maybe I should just blame my lifestyle given that it was pretty much taken directly from my life.)

We’ll start off with some good news. I have redeemed myself in the trivia world with a solid third place finish in last week’s game. While that just meant that I had the highest score of the teams that didn’t win any money at least I am no longer worrying about my memory. I mean, I remembered that Attilla the Hun died of a nosebleed, that Billy Wilder directed Sunset Boulevard and that Nicole Kidman was just named a UN ambassador. So my impending senility will be delayed by at least one more week.

This is one of those really odd weekends since there truly isn’t anything going on. It’s the off week before the Super Bowl so unless you want to watch the pregame show a week ahead of time there really isn’t much in the way of football. Though I did work out to the Arena Football game. Arena Football is a great sport to work out to, everytime you look up someone has scored. It’s like short attention span football. Plus, now that Kansas City has a team I have to be up to date on all of the teams and the strategies because that is all that will be discussed on sports radio. What else are we going to talk about? The Royals?

There weren’t even any good college basketball games on this weekend. Duke ran through Virginia with J. J. Reddick hitting every shot in sight. We did have in the first minute of the game absolute proof why everyone thinks that Duke gets all the calls when Reddick hits a shot from a good two feet inside the line and is given credit for a three pointer. Notre Dame lost another close game, this time to Villanova. I hate to say this as a Domer, but we might as well just start counting the days to the Blue-Gold game.

Sadly, that pretty much describes my weekend so far. Trivia, watching basketball, and if you add in doing laundry and cleaning my apartment you’ve pretty much covered my action packed weekend. Of course, that is changing tonight (and the reason why I am writing this so early) as I am heading off to my first concert of the year. Technically, the first concert that I’ve had to buy a ticket for this year. Heading off to see the critical darling Aimee Mann in what should be a good show. Haven’t seen her in concert before but everything that I’ve read has been good. I’ll be the one yelling, “Bring back ‘Til Tuesday”. I’ll give the review tomorrow.

The five random CDs for the week
1) R.E.M. “Life’s Rich Pageant”
2) Sarah McLachlan “Rarities, B-Sides and Other Stuff”
3) Jack Ingram “Hey You”
4) The Freddy Jones Band “The Freddy Jones Band”
5) The Corn Sisters “The Other Women”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Going back to one of last week's posts I just want to call this one early...whats the over/under on how long it takes Hollywood to make MacGyver:The Movie?

I'm giving them about six months to pull Richard Dean Anderson off some celebrity hockey game in their quest to ruin yet another great 80's show.

No, what am I thinking, they'd never do that. They'll cast Ashton Kutcher or Johnny Knoxville. Or maybe JLo.