Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Bring me Foreigner and Survivor now!

One last comment on Love Monkey. Our hero the A&R rep was fired from his job (at Goliath Records) when in a meeting where the CEO goes “The Music Industry is in the toilet. We have to change things or people will get fired” he decides to go into the “We have to change things up. It can’t just be about the money anymore. It has to be about the music.” Ok, if you are working for Goliath Records I can tell you one thing, it is definitely not about the music. It is always about the money, that is what happens when you work for a major multinational corporation. I would have fired his ass as well.

(Oh, and in a sign that every good idea that I have ever come up with has already been taken I found out last week that someone in KC has already taken the name for my record label. Yes, someone has already started Anodyne Records. I’m telling you, my laziness has taken the better of me on more matters than I’d like to remember. Now I have to think of something else to call my fictional enterprises.)

Since I’m in a musical type of mood I thought that I’d talk up some bands that are coming to town in the coming months. This is after I skipped Big Head Todd last night mainly because I just couldn’t stand sitting through another Big Head Todd show. Did you know I still haven’t seen a concert this year? This might be my longest vacation ever. Anyway, we’ve got two shows coming to town that make me pay attention. Note: both of these have full ads in the local paper.

First we have Vertigo in USA, a U2 tribute band. Ok, let’s see if I can get this straight. U2 decides not to play Kansas City. Actually, they figure that it is better to play Omaha than KC. So it is decided that if we can’t get U2 we can at least see a lifelike simulation. This is at a pretty major venue. I can get tickets online. I don’t have problems with tribute bands or cover bands, I just don’t think they should be treated like a major show.

That’s because the next show is the absolute definition of a major show. Yes, I’m talking about Dennis DeYoung and the Music of Styx. I am being so serious here it is not even funny. Come on, it’s Dennis friggin DeYoung! Sure, we can’t get Styx back together but we can get Mr. Roboto himself. How cool is that? I know, as the post modern hipster I am supposed to rag on Styx and Come Sail Away and Rockin the Paradise at every opportunity but I’m from Chicago and until the Smashing Pumpkins came around Styx was the best band we ever produced. (Cheap Trick is from Rockford and REO Speedwagon is from Chambana) If you grew up where I did and when I did you listened to Styx. I might actually hit this show just to relive my youth.

Plus, there is always Air Supply. If we can get Loverboy back on tour (headbands and all) it will be 1982 all over again. Ok, that and Asia. And Toto. Come on, Toto plays Kansas! Who do I have to talk to to make this happen?

That’s enough silliness for tonight. I’ll be better tomorrow…

No comments: