Thursday, January 05, 2006

Sports talk

So I just finished watching Illinois beat up on Michigan State. I do have to say that seeing every single person in Assembly Hall wearing orange is a really impressive sight. It makes it really tough to watch the game given the orange background but it is really cool. Hell, when I went to school there you had a hard time persuading us not to wear the other team’s jerseys. As a friend of mine put it, “Who do you want to support: Michigan’s Fab Five or another .500 Illini squad?” I’m just amazed to see my school actually having school spirit.

I should probably comment on last night’s football game but I am really struggling to because I know all of my ND friends will hate me for this next statement. I was actually cheering for USC. I know you are all calling me traitor but hear me out. I do hate USC but they do rank behind North Carolina, Florida State, Northwestern and wherever Bruce Pearl has ended up coaching basketball as my least favorite schools in the country. But I also put the Big 12 in this category of “Teams I don’t want to see win” and Texas falls into that category. See, all I ever get to hear out here is Big 12 sports and I hate it. I can’t convince people that outside of a tri-state area no one gives a damn about the Big 12. That deciding that putting Texas A&M-Pitt on television over ND-Purdue is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. So all I ever do is wait for the Big 12 to choke in big games so I can gloat. And USC even screws that up for me. God how I hate that school.

On the other hand, Keith Jackson on commentary is always a wonder to behold. Keith doesn’t even bother researching anymore. He’s seen USC so many times he’ll just start talking about Marcus Allen at running back and figure that people will know what he means. Plus, there is no one better at reading ABC commercials. I think he cancelled a few shows last night by reading the commercial in a tone of “I bet that show sucks.”

Sticking with some football news, Lynn Swann is running for governor of Pennsylvania. Because if there is one thing this country needs, it is someone adept at running the post route. I’m sorry but I just can’t support this. He wasn’t even the best receiver on the team. Now if John Stallworth was running for governor I’d be sending in donations. Especially if he gave Jack Lambert a Secretary of State position. That would be awesome.

I’ll finish with a voicemail from Super Dave. We have apparently found a cool personalized license plate: PVNRT. If you’re a science geek you will know that immediately. I think that is up there with whenever anyone asks what my favorite number is I answer, “6.02 times 10 to the 23rd.” Honestly, I have a decade of training and experience as an engineer and that is one of the few things that I actually remember.

No comments: