Monday, January 16, 2006

Simple tasks made difficult

For those of you who need a good description of what exactly it is like to live my life here is a great story from today. I have had on my list of things to do for the past several months to get new pairs of dress shoes. This was on the list for a lot of reasons including the fact that my current shoes look horrible, they are beat to hell and offer no support and apparently shoes are one of those things that women always notice so I need to have a good pair. So, as I make my way to my car to go shoe shopping I immediately roll my ankle and end up hobbling back up to my apartment. Yes, I was unable to buy new shoes because my old shoes are so bad they intentionally injured me to prevent being replaced. I swear, even inanimate objects are out to get me.

(Good news is it doesn’t look like I sprained my ankle too badly. Can still walk on it and stuff, it just looks like I’ll be wearing an ankle brace for the next few days. Given how many sprains I’ve had over the years I don’t even think I have ligaments in my ankles anymore. They are basically held together by scotch tape right now. I’ve had doctors say with all seriousness that I should just wear ankle braces at all times or at least keep my own set of crutches. I’ve settled on the latter.)

Since it is a Monday I need to comment on How I Met Your Mother. Yes, it was a rerun but it was new to me (or more like I had only seen the first few minutes before). Once again I need to ask just who was brilliant enough to have a camera crew tail me for the past several years. We have the detailed calculation of the number of women who would actually be a match for me (with their answer being eight versus my earlier calculation of seven). They have a full discussion of the creation of a computer program to determine your perfect match, which was the topic of a short story that I wrote a few years back. And let’s just say that there were other aspects that hit a little too close to home. Of course, I could turn this into a discussion of is there only one perfect person out there in the world for me or not but let’s face it, that’s not a topic I want to undertake while I am technically on painkillers.

Otherwise, this was just a quiet day capping off a rather productive weekend. You know, cleaned the apartment, bought groceries, did my laundry, all of those tasks that I would much rather outsource than do myself. Still, it was nice to see that I was able to check off most of the things on my To Do list. I’ll get new shoes someday, I promise. I just have to take my old pairs by surprise, that’s all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

try zappos.com for shoes. free, fast shipping, including returns. much easier and less annoying than going to a mall.