Tuesday, January 03, 2006

2005 Concerts: Part Three

Time to finish off the 2005 concert extravaganza. Two things to note: 1) Top 10 concerts are in bold and 2) If anyone is interested, I will be putting together a CD set featuring songs from every band that I saw in 2005 that I actually have a recording of. Last year, this turned out to be a two disc set and I’m guessing that this year will be a three disc extravaganza. If you ever want to really get an idea as to how broad my musical tastes are, let me know and I’ll send you a copy once it is complete. Now, on to the list…

Beaumont Club (Kansas City, MO)
1) Gavin DeGraw (Opening Acts: Ingram Hill, Michael Tolcher): I went to this show? What in the world inspired me to go see Gavin DeGraw? Seriously, I don’t know what I was thinking here. All I remember is that Gavin played piano and that Ingram Hill took the stage to a Jump, Little Children song, which meant that everything that they did from that moment on was going to be disappointing. They should have just played the Jump, Little Children CD for forty-five minutes.

2) Big Head Todd and the Monsters (Opening Act: Carbon Leaf): This was the first time that I saw Carbon Leaf and the starting of my odd relationship to the band. They stepped on stage looking as if they had just stumbled out of an Urban Outfitters and I had a feeling that this was going to be a Suck Factor FiveTM performance. Instead, they played a thoughtful and enjoyable set. Still, every time I see them I keep waiting for them to suck. Big Head Todd played the exact same set that they have for the last ten years and I don’t understand why I think that will ever change. I even got an email today inviting me to buy VIP tickets to their upcoming show so I could meet the band. It is tempting, if only so I could grab them and yell, “Learn a new song, damnit.” (Also, this is the only show this year where I very nearly got into a fight. Long story but man, this was the worst crowd of the year just filled with “this is our one night out a year so we get to be idiots”)

3) Social Distortion (Opening Acts: Street Dogs, Backyard Babies): I saw this the day after Big Head Todd, in the weirdest double bill imaginable. I know that no one believes that I have a punk rock past but just because I never had a Mohawk doesn’t mean that I never listened to the music. It was just a packed show, I think that every punker in the KC metro was at this show and while I stood out I still had a good time. The 11 year olds who were crowd surfing were having a better time, though. Backyard Babies are the best Norwegian punk rock band that I’ve ever seen, mainly because they are the only Norwegian punk rock band in existence.

4) North Mississippi All Stars (Opening Act: Back Porch Mary): After a while, all of these shows start to run together. I know I ran into Steve the Bartender at this show but otherwise there isn’t much sticking in my head. The All Stars put on their usual show where they combine delta blues with a funk rhythm for a real compelling sound but that’s about it. I’ll take better notes next time.

Uptown Theater (Kansas City, MO)
1) Lyle Lovett, Joe Ely, Guy Clark, and John Hiatt: This wins the award for my most disappointing show of the year. Not that it was a bad show, just that it didn’t live up to its potential. I was expecting to have my life inalterably changed by seeing four of the best singer songwriters sharing the same stage. Instead it was a short two hour show with little interplay between the four of them. I think this is something that works really well when it happens organically in Austin but doesn’t translate to a cross country tour.

2) The Get Up Kids (Opening Acts: Veda, Lucero): This was the farewell show for The Get Up Kids, ending a decade of emo in their hometown. (Ok, they’re not really an emo band but that’s what everyone calls them). Lots of great things from this show. First, every single person in this crowd was into the band. I mean, people traveled from Sidney, Australia to be at this show and there is no place on this planet farther away from KC than Sidney. Second, while it was a farewell show it really turned out to be more of a celebration. The crowd didn’t chant “Please don’t go” it was more of a triumphant “The Get Up Kids”. Finally, the band ended on the right note, joking with each other and being emotional and showing that a band could break up without everyone hating each other. I’ll miss these guys.

3) Elvis Costello and the Imposters (Opening Act: Hem): Let’s see the first time I went to this concert I found out it was postponed due to Elvis having throat problems, which no one mentioned until I got to the venue. And then Ticketmaster called me an hour later to tell me that the show was postponed. At the rescheduled show Elvis had to have a cortisone shot to the throat (and constant throat sprays) just to make it through the show. It was an impressive display of courage to make it through the show but it also meant that he wasn’t at his best. Also, this was one of those shows where I actually had a seat, which meant that if I stood I had a lot of people behind me yelling at me and you really need to be standing and moving to enjoy Elvis.

4) Nickel Creek (Opening Act: The Ditty Bops): The winner of the most unexpected surprise award of the year. When I saw Nickel Creek last year I thought that they were good musicians but didn’t really see much in the way of passion. This year I was just blown away. They went wild on stage, feeding off the crowd energy and tiptoed the line between showing that they are virtuosos and playing to the crowd. Also, they were having a blast on stage and when you are watching people having the time of their life up there the show becomes that much more enjoyable. The Ditty Bops were hilarious and included a band member on stilts at one point. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so much at a concert in my life.

Grand Emporium (Kansas City, MO)
1) Charlie Robison (Opening Acts: OK Jones, Brandon Jenkins): Favorite lyric of the year goes to OK Jones with “You’ve got to get the fuck out of Kansas, you’ve got to make your way to LA, because you might be the king of this old bar but here is where you’re going to stay.” Charlie is the more talented performer of the Robison brothers but Bruce is the much better songwriter and, in all honesty, I have more fun seeing Bruce play.

2) Hank Williams III (Opening Act: Hazard County Girls): So, in the good old days the Grand Emporium was this dirty, nasty dive of a bar with forty year old concert posters on the wall, a floor that you wouldn’t or more accurately couldn’t pick anything up from and bathrooms that were effectively nonexistent. Meaning it was an awesome place to see a show. Now, the new owners cleaned it up and turned it into a Sex and the City type martini bar, which would be fine except that they book the exact same acts. So, a Hank III crowd, which consists of people in overalls, Mohawks, and aging musical hipsters, all of whom really just want to stand around, drink Pabst, and break stuff, are forced into a really upscale establishment and get to pay six bucks for a beer. Hank III is great fun as he morphs from Hank III (his country show) to Assjack (his punk/thrash metal band) during his set but the venue was just wrong.

3) Jack Ingram: I don’t think that I’ve ever seen a bad set out of Jack Ingram. The guy just writes good songs and he is always amazed that people will come out and pay too see him play when he has admitted that he would do this for free. I really recommend finding any of his stuff and giving it a listen. Even if you will claim up and down that you don’t like country music listen to this and I’ll bet that you’ll be humming the songs for days afterwards.

4) Bettie Serveert (Opening Act: In the Fire): I’ve mentioned that I have a spreadsheet listing all of my CDs before (even though why I decide to post on the Internet “Yes I am a geek” always eludes me). Well, in that spreadsheet I also mark whether or not I’ve seen the band live. That fact is the only reason I was at this show. I had bought Dutch college rock darlings Bettie Serveert’s disc “Dust Bunnies” about a decade ago and saw them live just so I could check a box on a spreadsheet. Yes, I do have way too much free time.

5) Kathleen Edwards: When I put together my top 10 list I was surprised that this one stayed on the list. Not that it didn’t deserve it, just that it beat out a lot of good shows. The thing is, Kathleen took the stage and put on a simple and moving performance. With her guitar and band she went through her two CDs and for the entire length of the set I didn’t have a care in the world. All I wanted to do is listen to this Canadian girl sing songs and tell stories. At the end of the day, it’s moments like that I find enjoyable.

6) Freakwater (Opening Act: The Zincs): Techincally, The Zincs only consisted of one guy so it just should have been The Zinc. In what might be a sign, I knew probably half of the people in attendance since they were all either a) in bands that I have seen or b) spent way too much time at the front of the stage with me over the past two years. I’m a Freakwater fan though I will never try to convince anyone else to listen to them. They sing these Appalachian hill country murder ballads with very unique voices that sound almost, but not quite, like cats being tortured. Sometimes music is an acquired taste.

Davey’s Uptown Ramblers Club (Kansas City, MO)
1) Nora O’Connor: Went out to see her because she records on Bloodshot Records, one of my favorite record labels out of Chicago. It really doesn’t take much to get me to a show sometimes. Also, she did cover The Handsome Family’s “Drunk by Noon”, which allowed me to sing along with the chorus of “If my life lasted only one day I’d still be drunk by noon.”

2) Robbie Fulks: You know, I’ve probably seen Robbie in concert at least once a year for the past eight years. Whatever town I’m in, when he shows up I make my way to his show. The guy has a great ear for classic country music but also ties it to an immense pop knowledge. He’s covered ABBA’s “Dancing Queen” for crying out loud. The guy is funny as hell and always cool to watch. Check him out if you ever get the chance.

3 and 4) Alejandro Escovedo (Two night stand) (Opening Acts: John Dee Graham, Peckipah): This is my other choice for concert of the year. While The Frames were more exhilarating this show was much more moving. Two years ago (right when I moved to KC) I found out that Alejandro was very ill and that there were serious questions as to whether he was going to make it or not. Given how much his music has meant to me I did my part and contributed to his medical fund. Thankfully, Alejandro has returned healthy and reinvigorated and played what was essentially a two night thank you to all of his friends in KC. The guy is just incredible, he used to open for the Sex Pistols and now plays in a band with a cello and a violin. I am so glad that I got to witness both shows.

5) Stacey Earle and Mark Stuart: Stacey Earle is Steve Earle’s little sister, making this my sibling tandem of the year. This show had one of the coolest moments of the year. Stacey and Mark finish their encore by singing a gospel song. First they are playing their guitars and singing. Then they move to just singing a capella. Then they leave the stage, make their way through the crowd, singing all the while. Right when they hit the last note, they reach the back door of the club and walk out. The crowd cheers, which is funny since by this time they were in the parking lot and the door had locked behind them. So we all had to wait until they made their way back around to the front of the club so that we could cheer them again.

6) The Gaslights (Opening Act: Vago): The Gaslights feature one of my bartenders on lead guitar. So not only do I tip my bartenders well, I even help them out by attending their side projects. That is the sign of a good customer.

7) Rex Hobart and the Misery Boys (Opening Act: The Litigators): I ended 2005 the exact same way I ended 2004, seeing Rex and the Boys at Davey’s. The stage was decorated like the prom night from hell with streamers and flowers everywhere. Lots of flowers, which ended up being tossed at the band and at the crowd throughout the night. I took a carnation to the face at one point. This was less of a show and more of a well behaved riot. And honestly, I couldn’t think of another way to end the year.

Will I see this many shows in 2006? I have no idea but until something else enters my life to fill up my free time, if a good band is coming to town I’ll be there. If a mediocre band is coming to town, I’ll be there. If a bad band is coming to town, I’ll probably show up just to laugh at them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why I might be cheering for USC

college football:

- I like Notre Dame (obviously), and I hate Ohio State.
- I hate Wisconsin.
- I hate BC.
- I hate Michigan, but actually wanted them to win against Nebraska
- I don't really care too much about Georgia or WV, but I wanted Georgia to win that one.

college basketball:

- I hate Marquette (who are currently up 21 pts on #2 UConn with about 2 minutes left)

so if the fates of the sports world are aligned against me, would my cheering for USC all but guarantee a Texas victory?