Sunday, June 07, 2009

We can rebuild you...

Many people know that I have constantly begged to be placed on a reality show. Now usually this has been in an attempt to be placed on a show where I could win a boatload of money and prizes. However, we all know that my best shot for a show would be What Not to Wear or Queer Eye for the Straight Guy or any of the other personal makeover shows because as we all know my fashion sense is lacking any sort of direction. Well, thanks to my wonderful and amazing girlfriend, I have taken my first step towards no longer needing the help of television personalities to dress myself.

First off, it is much tougher to purge one’s closets than you would ever imagine. You would think that since I have moved across the country several times that I would have created a rather sleek wardrobe for myself just out of packing necessity. And it is true that I donated bags worth of clothes to Goodwill when I moved from Kansas City with others tossed out because they weren’t even fit for the homeless (don’t ask.) But even with that I have bins of clothes and closets filled with nearly two decades worth of stuff I have had to struggle to part with. But that was the first step in creating my new persona at least in the sartorial sense.

Though I will have to say, having your girlfriend go through your closet and say “Oh tell me you’ve never actually worn this” as she finds ten year old shirts of the paisley variety and a handful of sweaters worthy of Bill Cosby is rather disconcerting. I would like to say that I at least did not actively wear much in the pile that will soon be donated to charity but even on a good day my taste in clothes can be best considered bad. That is one of the curses of being an engineer. The dress code essentially ends at “remember to wear pants.”

Then it was off to Joseph A. Banks for a complete wardrobe upgrade. Props to Jerry our ever helpful guide through the racks as we improved my sense of style in pretty much every possible social situation. I think I spent two hours trying on clothes, which is about one hour and fifty five minutes longer than I ever have at any other moment in my life. This probably explains my closets as my shopping style involves mainly entering a store, looking at the first rack of clothes that looks decent and purchasing the first item that seems to be vaguely my size. This time it was a full team effort and I would say that I was refitted from head to toe except that we forgot to buy me a hat.

(Side note: as I was going in and out of the dressing room Jerry would refer to Kim alternately as “my wife” and “the boss”, which just made the whole experience that much more enjoyable. We were having too much fun to correct him on the first part and the second part in this instance was pretty accurate.)

So when you see me walking around now hopefully you will see me in a different light. Like someone who walked out of a catalog. Yes, I’m still the same person that I have always been but hopefully I will look better in doing so. Sure, it might have been nice having a camera crew there but I think I had the best company in the world instead.

Best of 120 Minutes: Let’s start the week on a high note, shall we? Withdrawl in disgust is not the same as apathy.



The five random CDs for the week:
1) Jon Dee Graham “Hooray for the Moon”
2) R.E.M. “Monster”
3) Josh Rouse “The Best of the Rykodisc Years”
4) The V-Roys “Just Add Ice”
5) Coldplay “X and Y”

No comments: