Monday, June 09, 2008

Now with extra snout...

While walking to a coffee shop this afternoon I passed a guy jogging down the sidewalk. I guess on its own that really isn’t too surprising a sentence. Yes, I now drink coffee in the afternoon and people exercise. None of that is worthy of a blog post, no matter how lazy I am at thinking up a topic. However, what a woman driving by yelled at the jogger was rather amazing. As she drove by she yelled

“What are you running from?”

That’s a rather significant question for a Monday afternoon. I ask that myself much of the time. What the hell am I running from anyway? And what does it mean that I work out on a treadmill where I run away but never go anywhere? I think I will need to ponder that one for a while. Maybe there is some deep seated issue that I must still address. Either that or admit that other people are better at puns than I am.

Side note # 1: There is nothing more depressing than checking Facebook and seeing Online Friends: 0. First off, it seems to imply that you have no friends, which is a rather sad discovery. Then you realize it just means that there is no one to waste time chatting with so you feel a little better about yourself. That is until you realize that every person you know is therefore doing something more productive than staring at a computer screen at that moment and you begin to feel very small indeed.

Side note # 2: Good news in that it appears that my car is now fixed. Had a battery that was dying but was not completely dead. I luckily survived a weekend with it (especially given that the issue started when I was leaving trivia and it would not have been the best time or place to have a car issue). I guess I can take pride in that I correctly guessed what was wrong and still feel slightly inadequate in that I had no clue how to fix it. At least I sounded intelligent describing it to the mechanic. That might be the definition of a minor victory.

Side note # 3: So McDonald’s is no longer going to serve tomatoes. Apparently, this is due to a health scare and may not be a long term decision. However, I really feel a need for McDonald’s to consider this a long term measure. First off, I’m not sure that we can consider them to be tomatoes. Vaguely red pieces of plastic could also be a possibility. Also, since we all know that eating at McDonald’s is by nature an unhealthy experience, where the negative coronary impact is offset by the awesomeness of the French fries, why do we even put on this false front of having supposedly healthy toppings? Screw tomatoes, I want quadruple bacon on mine. Actually, give me as many parts of a pig as you can find and just randomly add it to the top. How awesome would it be to find that you got some pig’s feet with your burger?

Side note # 4: Until I get back to completely being myself (I’m close now but still probably have a few days to go) I’m going to have some uplifting music with every post. That is a bit of a challenge if you know what my CD collection is like. I’m sorry, I’m just the type of guy who wears black when everyone else wears tie-dyes. But, here is a good Wilco song to close us out.

No comments: