Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Many thoughts, no cohesion

Well I set some sort of record today. I was rejected for a job four hours after dropping off a resume. That is rather impressive. I mean, the turnaround time on that is extraordinary. To go through a company’s HR system so quickly and have it be so obvious that this guy does not even deserve a second glance and we should just email his sorry ass immediately in four hours is really amazing. It’s also quite depressing. Luckily I’ve been rejected via email before. True, those were from women I wanted to date but the idea is the same.

(Still, screw you Safeco. The Mariners suck anyway.)

I saw a headline on CNN today about people with Empathy Deficit Disorder. What a bunch of pansies. What type of loser can’t feel empathy for another human being?

As I mentioned on Sunday I now have a 7 disc Best of the 90’s in my car. This means that I had the wonderful experience of pulling out of my driveway with U Can’t Touch This playing at full volume. There is something incredibly enjoyable about doing that. Yes, it’s horrible but man you’ll be smiling for the next several hours.

Here is a job hunting hint that it took me until today to discover. When you are applying to a lot of jobs across various websites write down what companies you are applying to. It will save you a lot of headaches later on down the line. I discovered today that I applied to the same job three different times. On one hand, my odds of success have now tripled. On the other hand, I did indicate to the company that I don’t have a freaking clue how to use a computer. It’s going to be a tough call.

It’s become a daily habit of mine to walk to one of the neighborhood coffee shops every morning. It gets me out of the apartment, provides me with a tad bit of exercise and most importantly, keeps me from ever trying to make coffee myself. However, I could do without the look of disdain I get from the employees. I walk in, look at the wide array of espressos and cappuccinos and impressive blends available, and say “yeah, can I have a decaf. No cream or sugar either.” I think they all hate me.

When they write the biography of my life (and they will, given that I sold the rights to my life story a few years ago) I’m really confident that an entire chapter will be spent trying to figure out how the guy who quotes Ulysses can also name the main event to every Wrestlemania in history.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. There are two ways you can look at life. You can view it as a tragedy or you can view it as a farce. And I choose farce. Laughter is so much better than tears even if it means you occasionally get a pie in your face.

Wednesday Night Music Club: For some reason I’ve been listening to a lot of Gillian Welch this week. Thought I’d share it with the class. Enjoy.

No comments: