Sunday, May 04, 2008

Will spreadsheet for food

Well, I knew that at some point I was going to have to break down and do this. Having spent a month on the dole, doing nothing except enjoying myself, I knew that at some point I was going to have to get serious about finding a job. Haphazardly surfing CareerBuilder and Monster just was not going to cut it. So, tomorrow I meet with my career management team.

In the old days my career management team would be a bunch of buddies that I would meet at a bar. I’d see them, we’d joke about our prospects and then get so horribly drunk we knew that we could count on each other for references solely because of the amount of blackmail material that we had on one another. It was informal and met at an acceptable hour. This meeting is at nine in the morning tomorrow and requires business casual attire.

My first problem with this is the hour. I originally signed up for a meeting in the afternoon. That seemed perfectly sensible. I’m unemployed after all and that means that I no longer have to set the alarm clock. Typically I wake up some time in the middle of the morning, stumble around and find a pair of pants at just the moment where lunch starts sounding like a good idea. I originally assumed that I was going to be very structured during my unemployment. That given all of my years of work that the prospect of sleeping in would grow tiring very quickly. That just hasn’t been the case.

So now I’m going to have to set three alarm clocks just to make sure that I get up in enough time to look like a human being when I make it to this meeting. It is a decent drive, which isn’t entirely a bad thing but it is just more work than I am used to. Plus, I know that I should try to be presentable and that has been a problem on Monday mornings my entire life. Who wants to be anywhere on a Monday morning besides their own bed?

The other thing is that they have specifically stated that I need to wear business casual attire. Now this isn’t that big of a deal for me because it is not as if I don’t have a thousand dress shirts hanging in my closet waiting to be worn. I have so many years of experience wearing dress clothes that I can tie a tie one handed while driving if need be. I’m a little more perplexed as to why I need to dress up for a meeting. I’m not going to be interviewing. They didn’t tell me to bring my resume. I’m just going to be sitting in a conference room for a few hours. Can’t see why I just can’t show up in jeans and a KMFDM t-shirt like I do to everything else in life.

I guess what really bothers me with this meeting is that tomorrow I am going to have to get up and act as though I am going to work. I’ve spent the past five weeks not working and it has been wonderful. I haven’t felt this good in ages. It’s not as if I haven’t accomplished anything. True, I haven’t made as much progress on my writing as I would like but I am moving forward with it. I’ve taken care of myself this past month and that has been brilliant. Now, while I know that getting a job is simply something that I must do, I really don’t want to go all out on the process. I still have months of severance pay left and a desire to live this life for as long as I can.

I’m going tomorrow because I know that it is the right thing to do. I’ll need a job eventually. I can’t spend the rest of my life hanging about coffee shops and sleeping in every morning. But I don’t really see the need to end this any sooner than I have to. I’m happy right now. Really, really happy right now. I just want it to last.

Best of 120 Minutes: I’ve been listening to The Pogues all weekend. Figured that is as good a way to start the week as any.

No comments: