Thursday, April 24, 2008

Sleep, perchance to dream



Ok, I know that the Wednesday Night Music Club was yesterday but I just have to post this. I’ve been a David Ford fan for a while now. Saw him open for Gomez and even though I knew absolutely nothing about the guy I was blown away by his set including the fact that I think he ended by blowing every speaker and breaking three guitar strings and not caring a bit about it. The guy is a genius at looping. Takes what Howie Day was doing and a) improves on it artistically and b) doesn’t act like a total douche in the process. This is from his latest disc and this video is live and one take and real. Watch it and be amazed.

My extended unemployment has resulted in an unforeseen development though any intelligent person would have foreseen it. My schedule has reverted to the same as it was when I was in school. I originally assumed that I would just be running a modified work schedule. I would sleep in later because I wouldn’t have a commute and didn’t need to be dressed but I’d still be doing whatever needed to be done by nine in the morning. Probably be in bed by midnight. Oh, how wrong I was.

Now some of this is my doing and I wouldn’t change that for the world. If being slightly less productive is the price I have to pay for enjoying myself so be it. I also have succumbed to the fact that I know bartenders and they also work on Monday nights. That is a very nasty habit and while I may not break it I at least need to time it better. But the more interesting one is the fact that since everyone knows I am unemployed they also know that they can call me at any time day or night and assume I will answer. I typically will though just understand that my sleep habits will suffer in the process.

What all of this means is that it has been absolute torture trying to get out of bed in the morning and my phone is conspiring against me. Back when I had a job one of my products was this wonderful service where you would sign up for text messages to be automatically sent to your phone. Things like the weather forecast or your horoscope or pictures of chicks in bikinis (hey, I didn’t say it was a bad job). Well, I haven’t cancelled any of my subscriptions (because I really do like the product) but it does mean that every morning my phone will repeatedly beep at me while all these messages arrive. Despite the fact that I would really, really like to sleep through them and even though my phone is in the next room I still hear them.

Now when I complained about this today someone who is much wiser than I am responded with a) why don’t you just turn your phone off or b) why don’t you just cancel your subscription. To which I responded a) because I’m an idiot and b) because then I wouldn’t have anything to complain about. See, I need things to complain about, the more trivial the better. Partly it is my belief that imperfections make the world a better place. They make things interesting and the fact that my phone beeps at me at seven every morning is both annoying and kind of cool. I take it over living in a hermetically sealed bubble. The other is this strange yin yang notion of my life. I know there has to be something bad going on at all times and if I can make that bad thing the most inconsequential thing possible and focus all of my anger on this completely frivolous, easily solved problem then the rest of my life will be easy to deal with. Yes, it is a completely convoluted view of the world but it works for me.

Basically what I am saying is I am so looking forward to falling asleep in about ten minutes. I’ll try to write something more interesting tomorrow.

3 comments:

Foodie said...

1. You are so Jewish. Did you know that?
2. I didn't realize you want stuff to complain about. Oh boy! I'll give you some stuff to complain about. he he

Foodie said...

Oh yeah, and thanks for reminding me to text you to wake up!

Anonymous said...

http://www.myspace.com/parkvillemicrofest

if your're looking for music and microbrews over the weekend!