Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The end of an era?

I am in a very frazzled state right now. Probably even more frazzled than I was this weekend where my posts made people wonder if I should be allowed to operate a laptop much less heavy machinery. But right now I am faced with the very serious possibility that my life is going to have to undergo a tremendous change tomorrow.

I think my cel phone might be broken.

Well, technically it is not broken broken. I can still make calls (assume I can receive them as well) and text messaging works. Those are all good things. But somehow without doing anything my internet access has crashed and I can’t send picture mail. For most people this would not be an issue but as someone who feels the need to constantly update his Facebook status and who uses his phone to capture blog ideas I really need internet access. Hell, what am I going to do when I’m bored in a social situation? Talk to people? That’s crazy. Why wouldn’t you just surf the internet?

Now admittedly there are a lot of people who I used to work with who are cheering the very possibility that I might be getting a new phone. This is because of the fact that even though I worked for a phone company, even though that I managed product lines and had access to free phones, I continually used my two year old phone for one simple reason. Customers keep their phones for two years, don’t see any reason why I should be any different. My job was to think like a customer so I needed a phone that the average customer would have.

Of course, most people would have traded in a phone that had as many scratch marks as mine. It was originally black but now large portions of the phone are gray as the paint has literally been scraped away by my keys. There are gouge marks in the keypads because I text by using my fingernails. It has nearly become a flip phone that can no longer flip. But I am incredibly nervous about trading it in and getting a new model because the darn thing works and works brilliantly. Sure it looks ugly but it is damn effective. My phone is pretty much a metaphor for me.

Ok, I’m not ugly. Let’s go with ruggedly handsome like a later era Robert Redford. Sure, other guys might have a better body or nicer hair but I have that whole “I’ve seen it all and I know how to whisper to horses” aspect about me that women adore, or at least tolerate. Yeah, that works.

(Sorry, it’s been a long night. Even I’m not quite sure where I was going with that last paragraph other than making sure everyone knows that I don’t consider myself to be ugly. More like Zach Braff with glasses.)

So here is the plan for tomorrow. I can either a) call customer service and see if they have a solution or b) walk down to the store and see if they can fix it or get me a new phone. I’ll probably settle on the latter because I really don’t have anything better to do. Yes, I could write but this does take priority over writing. Plus, my writing partner in crime has decided to get a job so that takes some of the fun out of it. Will my phone work again? Am I just going to find myself a victim of a customer service nightmare? Is this sadly going to be the most excitement I have all day? We’ll just have to wait and see.

Wednesday Night Music Club: I think I’ve featured Damien Rice before in this space but I’m in that type of mood. Basically I need an excuse to listen to Lisa Hannigan sing like an angel while looking amazing. If you want to know the type of girl who can win my heart in a second she is the prime example. Plus, Volcano is such an awesome song everyone should listen to it daily. Click play on this one, it’s a good one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

alternate solution; either upgrade, or see if you can find another A900 on ebay to replace. (woudl suggest finding a m610 if you can).

Ebay has a couple m610s and A900s out there for $20

Even if you buy a phone elsewhere and apply to your account, still resets your upgrade date on your account (but they may have changed this recently)

for a new phone, woudl recommned the new m520 as similiar to A900; slides vs. flips.

good luck!