Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Best nomination since Before Sunset



For once I get to be happy about Oscar nominations. Glen got nominated for an Oscar! It’s tough to explain how cool this is for me. I’ve been talking about how awesome the Frames are for nearly four years and now the lead singer just received an Oscar nod for a song he wrote. I’m just glad that the guy is finally getting the recognition that he deserves. He might actually win as well as his main competition are three songs from Enchanted. We can only hope for the best.

(Actually, what we can hope for is that there will be an actual Oscar ceremony and that Glen and Markeeta will be allowed to perform. That would be awesome.)

It’s going to be another quick post tonight as I am feeling better but still am not quite myself. Saw a doctor today and wasn’t given a complete clean bill of health but enough of one that I should probably be able to make it into the office tomorrow. Sadly, my weight and my drinking are now both subjects of interest for my doctor and I’ll have to address both. I can’t really argue with either of those. I am carrying too much weight for my frame, not a significant amount but definitely too much. As for the other one, let’s just say that I will be significantly cutting back in the near term. This weekend has proven to be quite a fright to me. One day I might explain why.

I did watch The Biggest Loser tonight, which might become a worthwhile obsession now. Let me state that for the record I am probably not fat. I’m six foot one and slightly over 200 pounds, which is over the 190 maximum that I am supposed to weigh. So it’s not like I’m pleasantly plump or anything. The biggest issue is that it’s not like I carry much muscle mass so I do have a bit of a tummy. I think the bigger concern is that if I just keep on putting on weight things will get very bad very quickly.

So I watch The Biggest Loser with interest as someone who wants to lose weight but also as a reality TV junkie. The TV junkie is the one that feels better. In a two hour episode I believe that the only weight loss advice I received was “eat a healthy breakfast” and “work out”. Oh and work on you core for balance. It’s not really an advice type of show. What it really is is a Survivor type elimination show where poor performers (or people viewed as threats) are sent home. That might be the most bizarre aspect of the show.

I mean, it’s a show about people who are significantly overweight getting a chance to completely change their lives. Except every week we tell some of them to go home, we don’t want you anymore. It might be the cruelest aspect of any show I’ve ever seen. You can be pissed for losing on Survivor or The Amazing Race but it doesn’t impact your overall well being. Here you’re asking contestants to risk other people’s health as part of a show. It’s kind of bizarre.

That said, glad the yellow team survived. For a divorced couple they are rather inspiring. They probably won’t win but they sure try their hardest.

No comments: