Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A fresh sheet of paper

There is something incredibly satisfying for me about writing on the first of the year. This has nothing to do with the blog but rather how I write the blog. See, I write everything in Word first and then copy it over to the blog. I know that this doesn’t explain the massive amount of spelling and grammar errors that abound in my writing but bear with me. What it means is that I store everything that I write every year in one big document that I refer to as my writer’s journal and on the first of the year I get to start up a new document.

I first started the writer’s journal in 1998 so this will mark ten full years of effort (sometime in April or May if I remember correctly). This wasn’t my first attempt at journaling; I had been trying it in one form or another since I was in high school. It’s just that in 1998 I forced myself to sit down and write every night. Didn’t always work and on more than one occasion I went months without writing but each year I ended up with over 60,000 words written. When I finally started to wonder why I didn’t have an audience for all of these thoughts I started up the blog, which forced me to be much more regimented about my writing. This might be interesting to only me but I find it fascinating that I have the past decade of my life captured in daily entries. I can tell you my first impressions of people because I literally wrote about them the night I met them. I just find that really cool.

Wish I had a ton of fun New Year’s stories to share but it was a rather quiet night last night. Luckily I felt well enough to head over to the Brick to see Rex Hobart and ring in the new year at some place other than my apartment. Don’t know if it was my cold or just my overall malaise but I just wasn’t really into it. Loved seeing the band, when you are bummed Rex is one of the best people to see in concert if just for the fact that his band is called the Misery Boys. But you know, things just felt sort of off. It was even that way in the crowd. It was a very anti climactic countdown, like you figured that since they already did it in New York do we even have to bother doing it here?

Today was mildly productive as I was able to clean my apartment before sitting down and watching Illinois…well, at least their uniforms looked cool. Actually, we were in the game for a half and if a few bounces would have gone our way we might have kept it close but yeah, we got beat. I can’t really get upset about the outcome. I went into the year hoping for six wins and a bowl game. Nine wins and playing in January is quite a thrill. Maybe one day we’ll actually win in January as well.

(Given that the Illini lost to Tennessee State in basketball over the weekend this hasn’t been a banner week for the orange and blue.)

That’s about it as I have to head to the office tomorrow. It’s kind of amazing but I’m looking forward to being back in the office. I’ve had a lot of time off the past few weeks and I’ll be glad to be back in my old routine. Lots of free time typically results in my sleeping on the couch. That’s another thing for me to work on in the new year.

No comments: