Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Let the melody carry...



Wednesday Night Music Club: I know I’ve talked about Josh Rouse before and he is one of the few people to make all three volumes of the Battling the Current CDs but I have to talk about him some more. There is probably no one that I am listening to more right now. It’s not as if the music is extremely complicated or anything. At its best it is just Josh and his guitar. I just love these songs. Here is maybe one of the most romantic songs I know, which would be great if I actually had someone to share this with on a mix tape.

(Yes, mix tapes are pretty much my ultimate form of self-expression.)

Some good news tonight as we just demolished the competition in trivia. It was a team effort but I added my fair share to help me confirm that I didn’t do too much damage to myself last week. If I can still remember who is the goalie on the US Women’s Soccer team I figure that I can remember pretty much anything. It was also nice to know that for once the theme to Too Close For Comfort was actually the theme song in question. A common category is name the theme song and any time it is a vague instrumental with horns I always answer Too Close For Comfort. Maybe it is just so that people will remember the career of Jim J. Bullock. It’s either that or Hollywood Squares.

As you can tell, there really isn’t much going on. Especially given that I just spent the past fifteen minutes scanning celebrity gossip sites searching for something to write about. Apparently the best subject is the fact that Dr. Phil isn’t really a doctor. Or at least he isn’t licensed anywhere. This is nothing new as if I remember correctly Dr. Joyce Brothers had no qualifications other than she brought her own microphone to the studio. It’s just a case where we need talking heads for television and throwing a doctor in front of their name tends to be good for business.

I was just about to rip on people who watch things like Dr. Phil to get their life in order but that would be a little hypocritical of me. That’s because I’m the person who goes to the bookstore and buys self help guides. Not a lot of them but I have guides on how to better organize my life (as well as Mystery’s handbook on how to, uh, attract women by being a total douche). There is that strange belief that we all have that wisdom is maintained somewhere, whether in a book or a television show. It’s as if the answer is somewhere and I personally prefer it to come with graphs and bullet points.

I don’t think things are that simple but I will say this (and maybe it explains why I’ve been jonesing on Josh Rouse all week.) Obviously I’ve been under a lot of stress lately. When I drove to work yesterday I put on The Polyphonic Spree and my entire mood changed. I wanted to take on the world. That’s what music does for me. Certain songs can turn around my life. Maybe that is the best therapy that I can find.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Top Five Songs to put on a Mix Tape? Go.

(I love High Fidelity...book over movie, but movie's not bad, either.)