Monday, October 08, 2007

Free at last

A few people reading this know where I work. Others could probably figure it out without much difficulty. Most would question whether what I do should technically qualify as work but that is either here nor there at the present moment. I just want everyone to know that I am indeed applying for the CEO job. As well as the COO job. Hell, might as well go for the CFO spot as well, I’m actually qualified for that one. I’ve never before quite found myself in a company devoid of senior leadership. At least not officially devoid, I don’t know if I’ve ever worked for a company that I would trust my executives as coaches of a little league team.

Moving on to much more important news, my beloved has been released from rehab! Yes, my darling Lindsay Lohan has been freed from Le Cirque where she spent most of her time learning to…learning to…I don’t know, swing from a trapeze while symbolizing man’s inhumanity to man or something like that. I only went to Cirque du Soliel once and the tickets were free. Thankfully, my friends in the Lindsay underground (we may not be many in number but we are strong in spirit) have whisked her away from Utah and into a state where the Absolut flows freely and plentifully. Hey, how else are you going to celebrate getting out of rehab? By reading a book? By reflecting on how you threw your career down the toilet by hanging out with Paris and Britney?

It will be interesting to see how Lindsay’s next act progresses. For the moment, let’s assume that she has cleaned up her act. That’s a huge assumption but let’s give her the benefit of the doubt. Now, while she still has some court cases pending she’ll at worst get a few days in jail and a long probation. The rehab stint will help her case at least. She wouldn’t be able to get any insurance company to back her on a major film so the big studios are out. But let’s say she waits six months and then goes to New York to shoot a few indie films. No money but you know there are a few directors who would kill to put her in a film. One of those turns into a hit at Sundance and she is back in business. Hell, if Robert Downey Jr. can get his career turned around Lindsay sure can.

It’s interesting in that despite everything that she did, Lindsay in no way screwed up her career as much as Brittney. Partly that is because Brit had so much of her career built up on this clean cut image and when that was removed she lost a lot of her appeal. There’s also the whole fact that she is a mother of two acting horribly and that makes it much tougher to forgive her actions. A 20 year old Lindsay is reckless but hasn’t hurt anyone directly. Brit has some innocent bystanders. In the end though, Lindsay does have some acting talent while Brit never really had any talent in the first place. And to comeback you need to have something to comeback with.

How I Met Your Mother was much better tonight. Anything that brings back Winnie Cooper is a good thing. The fact that Winnie Cooper is now this math genius just makes her more attractive in my eyes. Yes, I find the ability to write calculus formulas immensely attractive. That explains a lot when you think about it. On that subject, I really dug The Big bang Theory tonight. Again, this show seems to be written specifically for me and thus I have no idea how it lasted three episodes. World of Warcraft jokes, dating by proposing your hypothesis and “given alcohol and poor judgment you might have a chance” just made for a great show. I’m just amazed that a show whose humor often requires a high end knowledge of theoretical physics actually got on the air.

No comments: