Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Prettiness is a virtue



Wednesday Night Music Club: On Saturday night I had one of my famous rambling conversations with long time friend of the blog Erik. As is typical of the two of us, we hit upon a variety of topics all in an effort to avoid looking at the score of the Notre Dame game. One of those topics is exactly how I discover music. And the following example is pretty typical.

If you’re in my apartment (well not now, if you’re in my apartment right now I’m really going to start freaking out) you’ll probably notice that on my fridge I have a signed set list. It is signed by the one and only Tift Merritt. How did I become a fan of someone named Tift? Simple, while leaving a Kelly Willis show I was given a handout promoting her album. There were two important parts to this promotion 1) it had positive buzz from several sources that I respected and 2) she was really cute. That’s usually enough for me. Sometimes all you want is to listen to a pretty girl with a guitar.

Anyway, this is a long way to introduce the song “Virginia, No One Can Warn You”, which is a favorite of mine. Great video as well as I’m a sucker for no edit steadicam videos. If it worked for Lisa Loeb there is no reason why it can’t work for anyone else. (I should note however that it is entirely possible that I had a relationship end due to a Tift Merritt song. Well, I feel more comfortable blaming the song as opposed to my utter stupidity. It’s a long story and will probably make up a chapter of my novel.)

Hey Garth Brooks is going to broadcast one of his KC concerts live to theaters around the country. This is..this is…really harkening back to the days of closed circuit television. I know, we’re all expecting me to make some snarky comment on Garth but I haven’t heard of a closed circuit deal for nearly twenty years. Why not just do a live pay per view Garth? If it works for Wrestlemania it will work for you. Hell, if it works for Girls Gone Wild it will work for you.

That said, if it is in theaters that will spare us from having another Ben Stiller movie filling up the enormoplex. I did like the fact that one of the blurbs for his new movie was “The funniest Ben Stiller movie ever.” That’s like the least positive comment ever. They might as well have gone with “At least the boom mike never appeared in any of the shots” or “Odds are if you fall asleep you’ll get a restful nap.” I’m sorry, I know the guy means well and I was a fan of The Ben Stiller Show but that was in 1992. And that was mainly for Jaenene Garoffolo. I really don’t need to see him in another screwball romantic comedy.

(Another great bit from The Big Bang Theory: “I propose that we meet for dinner followed by a movie, most likely a romantic comedy starring either Hugh Grant or Sandra Bullock.”)

Oh, and of course the answer to the leader of the Autobots takes a paragraph to explain. Are we talking about prior to the death of Optimus Prime or not? Do the Dinobots count as part of the Autobots or are they their own independent unit closely associated with the Autobots. Were there any cooler characters in G.I. Joe than Tomax and Xamot? Ok, that’s not a Transformers questions but identical telepathic twins who also felt each other’s pain? How cool was that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, EC, after that nice spot, it's my pleasant duty to thank and welcome you on behalf of TM fan world ('course, for all I know you've been around under another moniker)--but if not, please feel welcome among other like-minded folks. Exciting things are happening.

Phillip
TMSTFC/tiftmerritt.net

Anonymous said...

although there was the Devil's Due GI Joe vs. Transformers mini-series in which Xamot and Tomax used Cybertronian technology to become cyborgs. Shockwave killed Xamot.

Anonymous said...

another link is that the voice of Xamot and Tomax in the cartoon was the same guy who voiced Sunstreaker and Sideswipe in the Transformers cartoon series.