Thursday, October 04, 2007

Still wish Lia had lasted longer...

Medical update for anyone who is wondering. It looks like today will be my first day in weeks that I will make it through on just two Advil. This is down from the ten or so I was taking a day two weeks ago. And trust me, I could have chewed Advil like they were M&M’s when all of this started. My back is still sore and mornings are more than a bit of a pain but I have now progressed to the point where it no longer hurts when I breathe. So, I’m making progress. Given that I was able to stand for three hours at the Arcade Fire show I have to say that I am basically back to normal.

News item of the day that doesn’t really surprise me: Australian customs officials seized a drug shipment that was hidden inside a Mr. Potato Head doll. Outside of an AT-AT, a Mr. Potato Head is probably the most obvious place to hide drugs. Sometimes people just deserve to be caught.

So I found out today that the Notre Dame game is not going to be televised in KC on Saturday night. On one hand, this means that maybe we should have held the Home Away From Home game this weekend as at least I would have been able to see the game. On the other hand, it will be nice to have one Saturday that is not spent hurling obscenities at a television screen. Technically I can watch a game at a bar but it is one of those strip mall bars and just going into the place will make me depressed. Watching the game will just make things worse.

Heck, I can’t even win with the team in PS2. I lost to Penn State and Michigan, though I had chances to win both games. I’m just happy that I got Doctor Wang to be named players of the game. That and getting to hear “Wang unloads” and “Wang down with a sack” from the announcers. I think that it is entirely possible that I am still in the sixth grade.

Yeah, it’s just been that type of week. Not much has been going on and I’m kind of low on topics. I did watch the Top Chef finale last night and I have to say that I can’t argue with Hung winning. Some people online don’t like him because he was edited to be a villain but in reality the guy is just competitive. I completely understand why he would not help out some of the other chefs when he is competing against them. It is a competition after all. Technically, Hung is a brilliant chef. The one critique is that his food doesn’t always show the originality you would hope for and can be almost mechanical in a sense. That said, he’d be the first person I’d hire to work in my kitchen.

However, of all the contestants the one whose restaurant I would want to eat in is Dale’s. He lost because of inconsistency and a tendency to go all out and put everything on the line. But that is someone who you can tell cooks with heart and soul and his dishes seem to be flavorful and unpretentious. It’s the type of food that you know you would have a great time eating. Part of this is my standing up for a fellow Chicagoan but the dude can flat out cook. I’m happy he made it to the end.

And like most guys, I’d be more than willing to date Casey. There were some rumblings online that she only made it to the end because she was attractive but she is a really talented chef. When she was on she was dead on. I just think she needs another year or two before she really takes off. That’s what I like about Top Chef. Of all the reality competition shows this is the one where you realize that a) these people are really talented and b) they may end up with top careers as a result of it. Unlike American Idol, Top Chef will never result in anything as horrible as a Daughtry CD.

Have a great weekend everyone.

No comments: