Monday, October 01, 2007

K-Fed: Father of the Year

I saw what can only be described as an odd sight on the way to work today. As part of the Think Pink campaign, Kansas City has colored its fountains pink. Now I have absolutely zero problem with the cause and I hope that this raises awareness and funds. However, coloring the water pink gives a still groggy commuter on a Monday morning the disturbing impression that the fountains have started spewing blood. Given the state of Kansas City’s sewer system that actually wouldn’t surprise me.

I have to say that this was a second straight week of a weak How I Met Your Mother episode. It never really got going with three storylines being one too many. Robin pulling a gun on the people crashing in her apartment and yelling “I’m a Canadian” was surprisingly funny as was Ted’s rant about being from New York, which is really funny if you remember that he is actually from Ohio. Still, I expect a lot more from the show.

Big Bang Theory wasn’t hitting on all cylinders either. It seems to be a show with a premise and not much else. Sure, there is a lot of humor surrounding geeks trying to impress a beautiful woman but I’m not sure where they are going with it. I also don’t know why you need four geeks in the story. Two of them have no backstory at all and only seem to exist to fill in lulls in the conversation. Like I said last week, I dig any show that discusses the physics of Superman but that doesn’t get a show renewed.

(Ok, the sarcasm sign was funny.)

Obviously the big news is that Britney Spears is going to lose custody of her sons: Sean Preston and whatever the name of the other one is. Here is sign number one that your life is completely screwed up: when a court of law determines that Kevin Federline is a better parent than you are. Actually, let’s give K-Fed some credit here as he is actively seeking custody and showing some interest in the well being of his kids. I honestly did not expect that from him. Sure, he is still a douchebag but at least he is a considerate douchebag.

But wow, talking about falling so far so fast. I’m not saying that Britney was talented or anything, she was well produced and vaguely attractive though I never quite got what the big deal was. But she was undoubtedly one of the biggest stars on the planet for a time and now she is just a walking punchline. Or more like a stumbling punchline. I think this is what happens to child stars who never bother to have even a modicum of a normal existence. They have no idea what the real world is actually like and have no idea of life outside of a trailer on set (or in Britney’s case, trailers in general). It doesn’t have to be that way. Look at Natalie Portman, she’s been a movie star since she was thirteen but she took time to go to the Ivy League and get centered in life. Sometimes it is best to not be in the spotlight.

On the plus side, at least now my beloved Lindsay is no longer the biggest screw up on the planet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

before you stat nominating K-FEd for father of the year: rumor has it the reason that K-Fed was so gusto about going after primary custody of the kids is because he is running out of money and would then be able to collect child support from Britney.