Sunday, April 01, 2007

Happiness abounds...

Hey guess what? Over the weekend I met this really cute girl who is working on her master’s in English at KU and we started talking and things started to click and as we gazed into each other’s eyes it dawned on both of us that this is the person we’ve been waiting for our entire lives.

Ha ha. April Fools. All I did this weekend was sit around and watch the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony. Nice to see that they honored the late, great Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig who was one of the best technical wrestlers of my generation. They also gave props to Jerry “The King” Lawler who was a part of the biggest angle of all time with Andy Kaufmann. Something that a decade later people were still trying to figure out which parts were real. And yes, I do pay attention to things like the hall of fame for a fake sport. We give Emmy’s to people who act like doctors, I really don’t see any difference here.

(Oh, I did make some progress at trivia as the red headed slutatorian did say that she didn’t hate me. In my world, that is considered success. I think at one point in my life someone told me that getting some self-confidence would be a good thing. I really should look into that.)

Yeah, it’s been a weird weekend for me. I watched a little of the basketball games but didn’t really focus on either of them. I predicted both correctly, which has moved me up to 11th in my pool. If Ohio State wins I’ll end up 5th, which will provide me with the pride of knowing that I am smarter than everyone else who didn’t win any money. I still can’t believe that I can predict the entire final four correctly and still not win. I must have really blown the first couple of rounds.

Ok, onto the all important Transformers discussion. Jazz is a freaking Pontiac Solstice? For the record, Jazz was the first Transformer that I ever owned precisely because he was an awesome race car. Now he’s a car I might actually own? That is so wrong. That would be like casting Neil Patrick Harris to play Flint or Rosie O’Donnell to play Lady Jane in a live action G. I. Joe film. (Which is probably in production) Autobots should always be transforming into cars that you wished you own. It doesn’t bother me that they messed with Bumblebee, I always hated him. I was interested in the little car that could. I wanted to see the big, massive robots with heavy weaponry.

I’m a little worried about the Transformers movie if only because I’ll have to then try to take the plot seriously. Ok, so we have a bunch of alien robots who land on this planet who decide to take on the shapes of motor vehicles so they will be inconspicuous. Except that they occasionally transform into giant robots by completely breaking the law of conservation of mass and engage in siege warfare using laser beams. It’s a movie where you need to check your rational mind at the door. Your entire intent for the night should be a desire to see big things go boom.

Oh, and I will look into taking my dream job as the pilot of the Green Lion in Voltron. I feel eminently qualified to be a member of the Voltron Force. I am brave, courageous and would totally try to hook up with Princess Allura. And hell, they let that annoying little kid pilot one of the lions, can’t see why I couldn’t do it. Now I just have to find the mystical lost temple and travel deep into the forest to find the hidden lion.

The five random CDs for the week:
1) The Frames “For the Birds”
2) The Mike Plume Band “Song & Dance, Man”
3) U2 “Zooropa”
4) Gillian Welch “Time (The Revelator)”
5) Paul Burch “Fool for Love”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a copy of the Transformers script if you really want to learn about the plot. Could have been better, could have been worse. Let me know if you want to read it.

Let's keep things in perspective though, its an action film that showcases CGI based on a cartoon, so set your expectations accordingly. Also, don't expect an expanded universe of characters or continuity of storylines.

I think a good comparison would be Independence Day.