Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Searching for a spare

Another installment in my neverending car adventures today. A few days ago I was filling up my car and went, “My tire looks really low.” But I just assumed that was just due to the angle I was looking at it. Plus, Grand Am tires always look low. Next day, looked at it again and thought, “It does look a little low.” Don’t actually do anything about it, just mentally note it. Yesterday I drive back from work and go, “The car is handling rather strange.” Still, watching Monday Night Raw takes precedence.

So today I drive to work and not only is the car not handling well it is beginning to get a rather strong pull to the right. Make it to work, get out of the car and figure out, “Yeah, my tire is for all effective purposes flat.” At this point I finally decide that I should have it fixed before I end up driving on the rim. (What? You think that I know how to change a tire? Much easier to drive on a flat tire.) Ends up I had a nail in the tire, from where I have no clue as I typically don’t drive through building sites, and I was able to get it patched up. This is the third tire that I’ve had to have fixed since I owned the car and adds to the repair bill for the month that includes a confused security system and a broken mirror, which has probably given me seven years of bad luck. Unless the world ends in 2012 with the Mayan calendar though I guess that would also count as bad luck. Though, seriously, what type of civilization can’t make a calendar that doesn’t have a fatal error? Is tomorrow that difficult of a concept?

Anyway, this is all just another sign that I need a new car. I know that it is odd to associate a flat tire with buying a whole new car but to me, it’s just a sign that something is going wrong. Plus, if I am going…

(Excuse me, they just used the Josh Rouse song “El Otro Lado” in a Panera Bread commercial. I’m going to need to bang my head against a wall for a few minutes. Sure, let’s use the most beautiful song of last year to sell overpriced sandwiches.)

Like I was saying, if I am going to have a midlife crisis I might as well play the part. I’ve reached the point that when I get my haircut that I have discussions on how to emphasize the gray in my hair. The idea being that we can turn my aging into a suave and sophisticated look. I’d rather not come to terms with my aging. I’d rather date someone half my age. Ok, not half, I’m only 33 so half my age would be way too young but still, I don’t want to be an adult just yet. Like all that lies in front of me is an endless string of tax returns. Which I probably should get started on, now that I think about it.

No comments: