Sunday, April 15, 2007

Back in the day...



At work last week we had a discussion of mentioning your most embarrassing moments. I sidestepped the entire topic, mainly because it would be very hard for me to settle on just one. Making a fool out of myself on a regular basis is something that I take pride in. Such as playing trivia on Friday night where one of the topics was 80’s Teen Sex Comedies and I freaking rocked that category. Not only did I know that Tom Cruise starred in “Losin’ It” but I was able to identify the movie My Tutor from the tagline alone. And I was incredibly proud of myself for remembering that even though I doubt that it impressed the red headed slutatorian.

My explanation as to my encyclopedic knowledge of bad 80’s sex comedies? Well, being a teenage boy back in the days before the internet meant that you had to be a little more creative in your attempts to see boobs. Hence, a great understanding of late night cable lineups as well as discovering various neglected corners of video stores that were pretty lenient on your rental habits as long as you didn’t go into the back room. Heck, I think I rented The Unbearable Lightness of Being when I was fifteen, which I was able to pass off as my being interested in art films when really it was just a beginning of a fascination with Juliette Binoche. Who I’ll picture above just because my hard drive contains more pictures of her than you could readily imagine. Hell, I have a poster of her in my living room.

(True, The Unbearable Lightness of Being doesn’t technically count as a sex comedy but it does have boobs. And at a certain age that is all that matters.)

I really don’t want to know what it is like being a teenage boy with high speed internet. It must take all of the fun and adventure out of the whole enterprise. Twenty years ago I thought I might get in trouble for watching Benny Hill night after night while tonight a thirteen year old is probably becoming very familiar with the works of Bridget the Midget. I don’t think that we can consider this progress. I’m of the opinion that I’m much more lenient in broadcasting sex than violence but there are some things that you shouldn’t see at a young age. Or at any age, for that matter. There are some corners of the internet that you just don’t want to walk down.

I know, a strange topic tonight but it was just one of those weekends. Outside of a little shopping and some hanging out I really didn’t accomplish much of anything. Cleaned my apartment, did some grocery shopping, took care of a bunch of lingering tasks that just had to get done but nothing that was life altering. Spent most of this afternoon watching the history of the Four Horsemen DVD (the wrestling group, not the football players or signs of the apocalypse). Basically I just wanted to relive sitting around on a Saturday night, watching TBS and waiting to see Ric Flair and the boys just beat the ever living crap out of someone. Usually Dusty Rhodes but occasionally Ricky Morton.

Some people would say that watching wrestling videos while in your early thirties is a bad sign. Admitting so in public definitely is. But like I said, making a fool out of myself is just part of who I am. Anything to avoid being typical.

The five random CD’s of the week:
1) Alejandro Escovedo “Bourbonitis Blues”
2) Kathleen Edwards “Live from the Bowery Ballroom”
3) Old 97’s “Too Far To Care”
4) Pearl Jam “Vs.”
5) Wilco “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Consider space..."