Thursday, April 26, 2007

And I'm back...

A quick post tonight as I am fighting a number of things, mainly a vicious case of jet lag. Yes, I’ve been out of town the past few nights (the main reason for the lack of posts) and dealing with issues of passports, lost luggage, the most beautiful front desk clerk in the world and other stories that I will discuss in full when I feel that I can accurately type a sentence. Right now, I have to deal with the fact that I haven’t slept in a bed in twenty four hours.

For those wondering, jet lag is a lot like having a hangover. Except without all of the enjoyable moments beforehand. This may explain why I was playing trivia at the bar tonight. If I’m going to suffer, I might as well have some fun in the meantime. We even won, which shows that I am apparently more intelligent when I can’t technically think and can only react.

Anyway, here is the story that I want to tell. It is from the trivia game on Friday night where once again there was a question where I was the only one in the building who knew the answer. It was a rather simple question, “What city proclaims itself to be the Spam capital of the world?” And I immediately answered, “Austin, Minnesota.” And, as is almost always the case, I was correct.

Why do I know this? One very simple reason. My first girlfriend grew up in Austin, Minnesota. As part of my birthday present one year she sent me a Spam bank. These are the sorts of facts that you never forget. Even though Austin is known for other things (more like other thing, that being the Gear Daddies) in my mind that city is tied to the first girl I ever fell for and Spam. I’m not sure if anyone else in the world could ever make that connection. Definitely not a group of people sitting in a bar in KC on a Friday night.

So Meg, wherever you are, thanks for making me look intelligent once again. And yes, I’m going to write the novel I promised you. It’ll be done in November. Sure it’s, uh, seventeen years late but things happened. There were a lot of good television shows on at the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sports question: who will do more whining in the next few days
(A) the entire Miami Heat organization
(B) Cedric Benson, when the Bears bring in another running back to complement him in the backfield (rumors say they are eyeing up Darius Walker in the 3rd round)