Thursday, April 19, 2007

Can't beat Casmir Pulaski Day

I have to thank Jeff tonight for reminding me that today is National High Five Day. I can’t believe that I forgot about that, I consider it one of the official Battling the Current holidays. It’s a simple celebration when it comes down to it. For one day you should high five random people in your life. If someone does anything of even minor significance, give them a high five to show your appreciation. Sure, there are only a few hours left but you can carry this over until tomorrow. Few things in life are as satisfying as a well executed high five.

(Though keep in mind that tomorrow is 4:20 so there will be celebrations of a different sort going on as well. If you know what I mean…)

I also have to admit that I did not celebrate Dyngus Day this year. I knew what day it was, can’t really miss the day after Easter. And I was ready to go out and enjoy the holiday that commemorates the fact that there is a day after Easter and that day is as good of one to drink as any. At least I think that is the reasoning behind the holiday. To be honest, it was never clear why I was drinking very large beers on a Monday night while drama unfolded around me. Though that is a surprisingly typical event in my life.

Anyway, I was thinking about going out but since Kansas City doesn’t celebrate Dyngus Day I was stuck in a rather large quandary. While I could go out to the bars and carry the South Bend tradition onwards there would be absolutely no one out to join me. In fact, all it would be is me sitting in an empty bar on a Monday night. That’s not quite the best position to find yourself in. Until I find someone who wants to be my reflection on a Monday night, I try to avoid being in an empty bar by myself. (Also, just a hint to the still single out there. Never go out on a date on a Monday early on in a relationship. Because in that case it so clearly a date the seriousness of the relationship gets ratcheted up much higher than it needs to be. Avoid the pressure, always schedule for Wednesdays.)

One quick housekeeping note. For the next week or so blog updates are going to be rather sporadic. It’s a combination of forseen and unforeseen circumstances. I have a lot of work stuff to address as well as about 100 pages of Tawdry Amusements to edit, rewrite and figure out just what the hell to do with in general. It’s missing things like general organization at the present moment. I have lots of words, though they aren’t in any particular order or anything. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a lot of that settled in the next few days. Things should get back to normal by the end of the month. I’ll write when I can, but there might not be daily updates.

Until next time, have a great weekend everyone.

No comments: