Monday, April 09, 2007

Stop all the world now


I’ve just got a couple of random items tonight as well as no picture, as I couldn’t think of one that would be really fitting. By the way, what’s the overall opinion on my adding pictures to the blog? Good idea? Bad idea? I at least thought that it would make it a little more interesting when I write about someone like Neko Case or Lisa Hannigan in that now people who don’t spend their entire life studying music magazines would at least be able to see what I am talking about. Let me know what you think.

Topic # 1: Thanks for the comment over the weekend that informed me (and Wikipedia confirmed) that Brittney Spears and Howie Day became a couple in rehab. In a strange way that doesn’t really surprise me. I’ve just assumed that Howie has spent the past year in rehab as opposed to touring, recording a new record, or acting like a total douchebag. He is definitely forward thinking and I could definitely see him playing solitaire in rehab going, “If I hang out here long enough some starlet will walk through and I’ll be able to pick her up on the rebound.” Because that’s just the type of playa that he is.

(Oh what the hell, here’s a picture of the dude)

(Damn, picture went to the top of the blog. And no way am I rewriting the opening)

I have really mixed feelings on the guy. Not in terms of whether or not he should be dating Brittney. I figure that I’ll tip my hat to anyone brave enough to go there. It’s more a matter of my dealing with the fact that I really liked his music for a time and saw him in concert three times in six months. I consider him to be a case of what happens when a major label screws with your head. He started off as being a guy with a guitar and a ton of effects pedals who created a unique sound by looping the hell out of his songs. That got him popular and signed and Sony then went “Be the next John Mayer. Here’s your band.” And I think he hated that.

It would at least explain why he took the stage at one of the shows so stoned out of his mind that he could barely play. I could see why he wouldn’t want to play a parking lot in Kansas City. I didn’t want to be there either but I still paid to see someone play music as opposed to flop around the stage. Add in a couple of arrests and his career has pretty much disappeared in three years. So getting a little tabloid time is a good thing.

Topic # 2: Oh, and on John Mayer. Seriously dude, Jessica Simpson? Really? After doing all of that work to try to show that you are a real artist and not someone whose music is performed primarily for teenage girls you decide to go out and date Jessica Simpson? I think I lost all respect for the guy and I really didn’t have any for him to begin with.

Topic # 3: Another strange vanity plate to add to the list. “KTCHUP”. Unless you are an actual member of the Heinz family I can see no valid reason why you should have that as a license plate. Can anyone be that interested in a condiment? To the point that you find it necessary to tell the world just how much you love the stuff? Sure, if your plates read “BEER” that would be cool but otherwise, try not to be a billboard.

I’ve got one other rant but I’ll save that one for tomorrow. It’s going to take a couple of paragraphs to explain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Britney's definitely a 15. As in blackjack. As in you're not sure if you would hit it. [Best Barney-ism ever]




Speaking of Barney, can we get a game of Xing Hai Shi Bu Xing organized somehow? I must play that game.