Thursday, December 28, 2006

Sunday night fever...

If it’s the year-end it means that I find myself in the same position I am in every year. First off, I have a head cold that makes it feel like the walls are caving in and secondly, I have to figure out what the hell to do on New Year’s Eve.

(Yeah, inevitably I get sick this time of year. I always place the blame on a lack of sleep, way too much time in airports and planes and the fact that hanging out with my nieces and nephews is not always the best for my health. Basically, once I finish this post I am going to retire to my couch and watch movies for the rest of the night.)

New Year’s Eve is a really challenging time of the year for me. It’s meant to be a couples night but unlike Valentine’s Day I just can’t stay at home and turn off the lights and listen to Leonard Cohen songs all night long. Because everyone should be out and about on New Year’s Eve and just because I am not currently part of a couple (which is not due to a lack of effort on my part, more like a lack of skill) doesn’t mean that I can’t find a way to head out and have a good time.

But it is also amateur night and that has issues of its own to deal with. Clearly, I am not an amateur in this regard. A few years ago I was a star player, then I became that guy hoping for one last great run to earn his championship and now I’m probably the guy just fulfilling his contract and hoping to get a coaching job (or at least a scouting gig) somewhere out there. This means that my usual haunts won’t work because they’ll be crowded and charging a cover, neither of which encourage me to have a good time. Instead of sitting at the bar I’m standing and I’m having drinks poured on me by strangers, which isn’t nearly as much fun as people make it out to be.

My guess is that I’ll probably do what I usually do and that’s head to a concert. There are a couple of shows Sunday night that interest me, though the concert schedule for the past few months have just been brutally boring. I’m thinking of seeing Lindsay Buckingham in a few weeks just to break the monotony. There is something nice about catching a band. You have a few but never too many, there isn’t any pressure of “everyone here has to have the best time of their life”, and things just never get too couple-y. It’s not a perfect solution but it beats watching Dick Clark.

As always, I’m more than open to suggestions. If you ever wanted to manage someone’s social life, here’s your chance.

No comments: