Sunday, December 03, 2006

Pop culture musings

Some thoughts on what I saw on television over the weekend…

1) The Danny DeVito drunk on The View incident

So, apparently Danny DeVito showed up drunk on the set of The View last week, due to a very late night drinking with George Clooney. Now, let’s ignore how those two ended up drinking together (I’m just going to assume that Clooney is a really big fan of Throw Momma from the Train). I bet I can accurately recreate the conversation that they had the night before.

Clooney: Aw come on Danny, stay for one more drink.
DeVito: No, I got to get home to the wife.
Clooney: Dude, you’re married to Rhea Pearlman.
DeVito: You’re right. Let’s do a couple of shots.
(A little bit later)
DeVito: Man, I got to get going…
Clooney: Why?
DeVito: You know, I just got to get going.
Clooney: No, I want you to tell me one good reason why you feel that there is a better option for you right now than being in this bar.
DeVito: Well, I got to be up early in the morning to do an interview on The View.
Clooney: Seriously?
DeVito: Yeah, you know, promote the movie and all that.
Clooney: So, you’re telling me that you want to go home just so you can see Rosie O’Donnell in the morning?
DeVito: What am I saying? Break out the Jager.

To be honest, that isn’t much difference than every other conversation that I ever had at the Backer.

2) A commercial for the “World famous KFC bowls”

There are many things that have made me concerned for the planet. Deforestation, the continual increase in the concrete to grass ratio and the fact that there has been a great deal of focus in the news media regarding Brittney Spears decisions in the underwear department (which is a post in its own right). But the fact that the KFC bowls can now be described as world famous may just put me over the edge. Any menu item that is created by taking four other menu items, tossing them in a bowl and covering them with gravy does not deserve to be world famous. It should probably be banned by UN decrees.

3) Dr. Pepper promoting its 23 flavors

First, I want to figure out how they determined that there are 23 flavors. Flavors just don’t seem like something that you can easily count. Is this based on a complicated chemical analysis or just some guy sitting in an office thinking up adjectives to describe Dr. Pepper. If it is that then just what are those last few flavors because let’s admit it, we’re talking about one of the lesser colas. I’m guessing those last three flavors are “battery acid”, “despair”, and “you know the way you retch when you walk past an overflowing garbage can on a really hot day? Yeah, Dr. Pepper kind of tastes like that.”

The five random CDs for the week:
1) Death Plan for Cutie “Plans”
2) Cowboy Junkies “Open”
3) Freakwater “Feels Like the Third Time”
4) Alejandro Escovedo “With These Hands”
5) Josh Rouse “Subtitulo”

No comments: