Sunday, December 10, 2006

Now officially on the late shift...

Bartenders have greeted me in a number of different ways over the years as I’ve stumbled into their establishments. I’ve had my share of “Norm!” and “Good to see ya” and “(Nod of recognition as I slide your beer over to you)”. Last night was a first though as I walked into my regular watering hole and the bartender goes “You’re late. Where have you been?” This means that I’ve moved beyond being a regular and now apparently have regular working hours at the place. As in my presence is required as part of the décor. As always, my life always straddles the border of being incredibly awesome and really, really disturbing.

Tough to say if I actually accomplished anything over the weekend. My apartment is slightly cleaner in that I purged some of my magazine collection and decided to pick the majority of the clothes off the floor. It actually isn’t that bad, it’s just that when I have a week like the last one that turns out to be incredibly busy I end the week with a coffee table filled with unread mail and a sink overflowing with dishes that I hope will clean themselves through their exposure to the air. I did get some more Christmas shopping done, which I performed using my usual technique of going to stores that have the least number of cars in the parking lot so I won’t have to deal with crowds. I know some people enjoy the hustle and bustle of the crowds but I would just rather be able to walk through a store without running into people who have stopped in the middle of an aisleway because apparently they had never seen a Christmas tree before.

I did have the oddest dream imaginable over the weekend. I dreamt that I was in the cast of How I Met Your Mother. That’s pretty meta given that I was dreaming about being in a show that is about my life already. It was very strange in that in the dream I was literally hanging out with Marshall, Ted and Lilly (the actors, not the characters) at an award show and talking about the show. It was realistic and in a sense, normal. Like it wasn’t like a dream at all. It was as if I really was spending my life hanging around with Allison Hannigan all day, which would totally rock. It was rather confusing once I woke up as I had to question reality for a good long time as to whether I had dreamt about a tv show, my own life, my own life as a tv show or all of the above. Along with trying to figure out what I meant when I told the guy “So what is it like playing me?”

Maybe I should put that DVD collection to the side for a little while. I tend to have a tenuous grip on reality to begin with.

The five random CDs for the week:
1) Pat McGee Band “Shine”
2) Tori Amos “To Venus and Back”
3) Josh Ritter “The Golden Age of Radio”
4) Old 97’s “Wreck Your Life”
5) Liz Phair “Somebody’s Miracle”

No comments: