Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Sometimes you just can't win...

Your Lindsay Lohan note of the night: So, Lindsay received an award at the Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards. Just take that as a given, I don’t know what it was for, maybe her performance in Herbie: Fully Loaded was spellbinding. Anyway, while she was leaving the stage she, how can I put this politely, well she gave a very cheeky exit if you get my drift. I do want to know what her thought process was, “Nickelodeon is giving me an award, I should wear the shortest skirt possible.” And how do we make the connection between Nickelodeon and Lindsay Lohan? All I got growing up was You Can’t Do That on Television and I’m telling you, no one was mistaking a young Alanis Morrisette with Lindsay.

Today was the day where I just couldn’t win. Or more like what I support just can’t win. Duke lost another national championship game with this time the women’s team losing in overtime to Maryland. They were up thirteen at one point in the second half but Maryland just kept coming back and coming back and I’m kind of getting sick of watching the team lose.

Of course, that isn’t even the big Duke news from the past few weeks, which has been the investigation into the lacrosse team. It’s an ugly story and I really hope that the right people are punished but it is making me rethink my support of Duke. This story really shows that one of the reasons that I support the school is completely false. I’ve always said that one of the reasons that I cheer is that Duke does college sports right. They are students and good kids who play hard. But on the lacrosse team one third of the team had been charged or plea bargained to criminal offenses. I’ve never heard of a team with that high of a percentage, if Miami football had that type of numbers they would shut down the program. It really is a bad situation all around.

Back to the losses, it looks like my picking the loser in the election has continued. Based on the last result that I saw my taxes will be going up in order to improve the stadiums. But, it also looks like the rolling roof will be shot down so it isn’t a total loss. It is interesting that people will vote to fix the stadiums and keep the teams but adding an ugly rolling roof to get the Super Bowl and maybe a Final Four is out of the question. Like I said before, the stadiums need to be improved but this was just a bad plan financially and the threat of the teams leaving was just that, a threat. If they do it well, you’ll get a Soldier Field type renovation in which the new stadium is awesome from a fan’s perspective. If they do it poorly, you’ll get a Soldier Field type renovation in which it looks like a spaceship landed inside the stadium.

Oh, and the Sox lost as well. But, I’ve ordered the World Series DVD so now I’ll get to watch all of those games over and over again. Because I know that it might be a very long time before I see a championship again.

No comments: