Monday, April 10, 2006

EC the Series: This fall on CBS

Now I’ve mentioned that I am a Family Guy fan on numerous occasions on this blog. Hell, their random pop culture references tend to match up quite closely with my own. I even fell to the floor laughing when they broke out “It’s Peanut Butter Jelly Time”. But last night they aired the most viral song in the history of, well, I can’t really call it music but they did “Ding, fries are done.” Damnit, it’s twenty four hours later and I still have that song in my head. And what’s worse is that every time the song runs through my brain for a split second I think that I’m at the Backer and then I look around and realize that I’m at work. Please, get this song out of my head.

(That said, I know that Super and Erik will be singing it for the rest of the day so have fun with it.)

That wasn’t the only odd flashback event from last night. I was watching Adult Swim and they were promoting their new cartoon “MinorIteam”. See, it’s a team of superheroes all of whom are minorities. Look, it’s not exactly high concept hour on Adult Swim, most of the fans are under some sort of influence. Anyway, one of the heroes is named “Dr. Wang.” Ok, I can take Ice-T reading my blog on the air and calling it “How to be a Playa.” I’ve learned to live with the camera crew documenting my life for use in “How I Met Your Mother” scripts. But, please, Dr. Wang is my creation. Ok, actually it’s Super’s creation but damnit, it is my trivia name and across the nation there are people at this very moment looking at a trivia machine going, “We’re playing this until we beat Dr. Wang.”

Who knows maybe this is the sign that the universe is made solely for my own enjoyment. Like various aspects are conformed based on my very whims. Of course, that would explain the quality of my life other than I do have a rather dark sense of humor. Still, I should have trademarked Dr. Wang while I still had the chance.

And on “How I Met Your Mother”, the new episode went pretty much to plan but not in the way that I anticipated it. First, it would be nice if, I don’t know, they showed new episodes back to back instead of waiting a month. But, the show has been renewed, which means that we will get a second season and almost certainly a DVD collection out of this. Anyway, last time I, I mean Ted, was called by Robin at two in the morning and she asked if he wanted to come over. This while Ted was waiting for a phone call from her girlfriend in Germany. I of course gave the advice of “Go now.”

Ted’s recurring theme throughout was “Nothing good ever happens after 2 AM.” I’d like to put that to a vote. I’ve had several good things happen after 2 AM, though they also tended to turn into bad things about 48 hours later.

He goes and is a bit torn with guilt realizing that Robin, the girl of his dreams, has feelings for him but he technically has a girlfriend. The guilt is represented by Victoria, who is actually in every other scene as his subconscious, which differs from my script since in mine she actually flies over from Germany to see him. Still, in a bit of a surprise (less if you know me) Ted simultaneously screws up both relationships. I say it is a surprise since I was thinking that they were going for a good sitcom happy couple and after months of Ted being in love and now seconds away from his dream girl we are now back to morose, bummed Ted. Wow, they are filming my life.

This was an odd episode since it wasn’t really a sitcom episode. I wasn’t laughing every thirty seconds but I wasn’t going to switch channels. The best thing about the show is that it has moments of perfect realism. When Ted calls Marshall and goes “I need a ruling” that is true to life. Guys don’t ask for advice by saying “I have a question” we go, “What’s the standard operating procedure for this situation.” Of course, none of us know but we feel that if we speak in enough technical jargon it has to be true. And I’ll be honest, I have no idea where this show is going next.

No comments: