Sunday, April 30, 2006

More than meets the eye

I’ve decided that there are two distinct possibilities as to what the comment to my last post means. It is either a) an attempt to make regressions look cool and sexy (the first number at least looks like an r-squared term) or b) I have somehow found myself embroiled in a Da Vinci Code level mystery of codebreaking that will both put my life in danger and have a French art history major fall madly in love with me. I’d like to think that I am now the center of international intrigue but then again, this is Kansas and well, those things just don’t happen around here. (But a French art history major, I could go for that.)

Ok, there are a few questions that crossed my mind this weekend that need answers. The first is, when Optimus Prime transformed from a truck to a robot what happened to the trailer? Seriously, in the cartoon he was always pulling a trailer and then suddenly he became a robot and the trailer just disappeared. Did it go careening down the highway crashing into innocent civilians? This is suddenly important to me. I can deal with Megatron transforming into a gun and violating the laws of conservation of mass but what the hell happened to the trailer?

The next one is, I think that I’ve finally found the ultimate job: Royals first base coach. This has to be the simplest job on the planet. First of all, first base coach is an incredibly easy job, you just stand there, offer encouragement, slap the guy’s hand when he reaches base, yell back on the occasional pickoff throw, and try not to get brained by a foul ball. Not a tough life and it’s even better for the Royals since, well, no one ever gets on base. It’s like you just get to stand out in the sun for a few hours and get paid for it. I could do that gig.

Ok, as a Royals first base coach you also have to deal with the occasional attack by White Sox fans but that is what you get when you walk into Sox Park. It is our house and if we don’t like the way you are arrogantly coaching first base we’ll let you know. (My favorite sports radio line from that story from a caller: “Why was it when I heard the words “First base coach” and “Attacked” I immediately thought, “White Sox”.”)

Quick MySpace update. It’ll probably be more like the end of the week than this weekend. Lots of reasons, one of which is I forgot that this is the end of the month and that means I had to write a monthly report on my life and that takes up a good bit of my creative energy. Plus, the profile is going to take time to fill out to the degree that I like to do it, which is why this blog took a month to actually be open to the world. It’s a lot harder to list your favorite books and movies than you would think. They also ask what’s my purpose and that is a rather philosophical question for MySpace. Sure, most people would just say networking but I’d like to think that my purpose is a little deeper than that.

The five random CDs of the week:
1) Nickel Creek “Why Should the Fire Die?”
2) Patty Griffin “Flaming Red”
3) Kelly Hogan “Beneath the Country Underdog”
4) The Black Crowes “Shake Your Money Maker”
5) Sally Timms “Cowboy Sally’s Twilight Laments for Lost Buckaroos”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thought you'd pick up on the 'code' right away.

type those numbers into a calculator. turn upside down.

"My grandfather once said, 'Anything you can do on a calculator, I bet I can do just as well on an abacus.' So I spelled out 'SHELL OIL' and shut him out." ~ random stand up comedian