Monday, April 03, 2006

Gators win a title

Note: Yes, I have been negative recently even though I promised that I was giving up negativity for a while. Sorry, slipped up for a little bit there. Guess I am human after all. Ok, technically I’m a cyborg, working to pave the way for the robots to take over and rule using only If Then statements but that is a story for another day.

Well, it looks like Florida has this game pretty well in hand, which means that that fat piece of bleep Billy Donovan will end up winning a title. Now, a lot of people wonder what I have against Florida’s coach. There are a couple of things that I don’t like about him. The first is that he played and learned from Rick Pitino and I don’t like Pitino (it’s a Duke-Kentucky thing). Then, there is the fact that Donovan is pretty sleazy as a recruiter and he tries to act like he’s perfect when there are a lot of fishy things that go on with that program. But the biggest thing is from the 2000 tournament, where the Florida team mugged its way to the title game by just beating the crap out of Illinois and Duke. I mean, they just cheapshotted their way through the tournament and almost won it by having Teddy Dupuy injure Mateen Cleeves of Michigan State. So, Donovan is a sleazy coach who plays dirty basketball. And he is fat. He was fat when he played for Providence and he’s fat now.

The interesting thing is that I like Florida. I actually accepted a position to their graduate school and then changed my mind. This was back in college and when I graduated in ’95 (yes, that long ago) the job market was still pretty rough. I tried to expand my options by simultaneously applying for a job and trying to get into grad school. Florida accepted me and ComEd was putting off a decision so I finally took the grad school offer. Then a few days later ComEd finally came through with an offer and I decided to work for a living. Yes, I chose to go work in a nuclear plant rather than study in Florida. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, many people have called me smart but no one has ever described me as intelligent.

(That said, it was grad school for electrical engineering and, well, somehow I have a feeling that it would have been about as much fun as it sounds. Just hour after hour of looking at circuit diagrams. Remember, I chose that as a career path at one point in my life.)

Completely changing subjects here. For those of you out there who are big music fans there is a magazine that you really need to pick up. Paste is probably the coolest, mainstreamish magazine out there. What I mean by that is you can pick it up at Borders and it looks cool but has stories on The Flaming Lips, Josh Ritter and Alejandro Escovedo. Plus, it comes with a CD and a DVD filled with new music. Have to give props to this issue’s DVD, which has a Beth Orton video in which it looks like she is on some bizarre, low rent version of The Muppet Show. I mean, it’s cool to know that they actually still make videos. Anyway, if you want to get introduced to a lot of new music, check it out.

No comments: