Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Being John Cusack...

What to do, what to say…

1) Since I am listening to Les Mis this week I feel the duty to once again state that the two characters that I hate the most in the play are the ones that get to live happily ever after. Every cool character dies but Cosette and Marius get the fancy wedding. I’m sorry but Cosette is a whiny brat and Marius is just a cold heartless bastard who somehow thinks that Cosette is better than Eponine, which is insane. And yes, I know that last week I was talking about wrestling DVDs and now I am writing about the intricacies of musical theater. You know, I would consider myself a renaissance man if not for the fact that I don’t think that most renaissance men when asked to list their heroes in life would include “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair.

2) Got to give a shout out to the Dorfmeister for taking home another gold medal. Because when it is crunch time you just cannot count out the Dorfmeister. Also, I must admit that after seeing the wipeouts in the Ice Dancing competition I may need to reconsider my statement as to whether it is a sport or not. Those falls sure looked like they hurt. Tonight we are showing the women’s figure skating competition, also known as the moment in which the fate of an entire nation rests on the shoulders of a sixteen year old girl. Which doesn’t happen very often, other than the occasional Joan of Arc.

3) I did watch the biathlon this weekend and it is a strangely engrossing sport. They’re skiing. They’re skiing some more. Wait a minute, they just pulled out a rifle. And now they’re firing at silver dollar sized targets. And the dude from Norway just choked and missed. Incredibly, this kept my interest for an hour. That said, I also watched people playing roulette on television this week, which meant I was paying attention to what random number appeared on a wheel.

4) On the great comment on independent record stores. I personally frequent the Streetside Records in KC, which is at least quasi-independent (though on occasion Borders pulls through with some really odd selections). It is the type of place where they’ll help you out even without asking. I went in there and went to buy the Garden State soundtrack and one of the Shins CDs and the guy working there goes, “You know, if you buy both Shins CDs the second one will be half priced and trust me, once you listen to the first one you’ll buy the other.” Plus, I somehow ended up in a ten minute conversation there once on the merits of The Cowboy Junkies. Yep, that’s why I try to avoid the Best Buys of the world and why someday I’ll just realize that my life should completely resemble High Fidelity and I’ll just open up my own store.

5) Oh, and I did catch the Ryan Adams/Tift Merritt episode of Austin City Limits. Here is the weird thing, I was super psyched to get to see Tift in high definition. This is odd because I’ve met her, stood right next to her and we talked and she signed her set list for me (which is on my fridge as if it is my hipster report card). But I was more pumped to see her in high definition on television. Apparently reality just doesn’t have the degree of resolution that I am looking for.

No comments: