Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Production completed

I’ve got a lot of really good news today. First of all, the Battling the Current: Volume 1 CD is finally complete. Sorry for the month delay, which wasn’t entirely due to laziness. In listening to my original track list I came to the realization that the first half of the disc simply didn’t work so that meant that I had to rethink things, rerecord some tracks, and all in all just start from scratch. But, it is still a free CD along with six pages of liner notes for those who feel obliged to read those sorts of things. Expect them to be coming your way in the next few weeks. (You can still request one, just drop me an email.)

Just as importantly, tonight I am celebrating earning the Wild Card berth in my Fantasy Football league. Yes, Cobra Kai after starting off the season a rather sad 3-5 goes on to win five of its last six and claim the fourth and final playoff spot, ensuring that I actually make a profit this year. Nice to see Peyton Manning come through for me at the end of the year along with the most unlikely starting running back tandem of LaMont Jordan and Thomas Jones. I don’t know if I have much of a chance this week as my opponent has Edgerin James and Larry Johnson but I’m just happy to make the playoffs. See, you don’t have to pick a running back in the first round. Or the second round either.

Here is my fun work story for the day. So I’m sitting at my cube this morning, which is on the main aisle of my floor right next to a conference room. As you can imagine, that is a position of great honor and prestige. Or more accurately, a position where I can’t look out the window and see if it is raining outside without walking thirty yards. Anyway, I’m sitting in my cube messing around with spreadsheets and I start smelling food. Like about ten boxes of pizza worth of food. Being set up right next to my cubicle for the meeting that was taking place in the conference room. Do you know how cruel that is? “We’re going to set up lunch five feet from you but remember, you can’t touch anything. Now go back and make sure those rows and columns sum up correctly.” Oh well, one day I’ll have a cube with a window and the world will be a much better place.

For those wondering I didn’t make my way out to see The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe just yet. It is nice to see that they’ve apparently done a nice job with the film given that they could have easily butchered it. There just isn’t much that would drive me to go to the theater to see it, especially in an opening weekend. In my mind, they won’t be able to touch the book or the cartoon version of the book that I remember watching a dozen times in the early eighties. As much as I push nostalgia sometimes I like keeping those memories as just that, memories. It’s like how I prefer to remember watching The Wizard of Oz once a year with my family as opposed to watching it now where I would be tempted to synch it up with Pink Floyd and pay attention to how Dorothy’s hair changes length four times in the same scene.

Last thing, in the weird news story of the day: Pregnant woman skydives, chutes do not open, hits the ground and lives. Which raises the obvious questions: 1) Why are you skydiving while pregnant? and 2) Is there a videotape of this? To which the answers are 1) She’s from Arkansas, that might be explanation enough and 2) Yes there is. This is the strangest part of the story. The woman (who landed in the parking lot going 50 mph and suffered some pretty hardcore injuries) has actually watched the tape of herself skydiving and having the chutes fail. She said that it doesn’t bother he because “She knows how it ends.” I’ll let someone with a psychology degree explain if that is a good idea or not.

No comments: