Sunday, December 25, 2005

Foiled again

Once again, I've been thwarted in my attempt to get a fire truck for Christmas. Is it that much to ask? All I want for Christmas, heck all I want in life, is a nice red fire truck with an extendable ladder. Just one to make up for the fact that my brothers took mine one Christmas morning several decades ago. (Yes, I remember those things)

But I did get the first season of The Muppet Show on DVD, continuing in my effort to relive my childhood through DVD collections. Ok, that sounds a little weird so let me explain. The Muppet Show did have some pretty high level comedy back in the day (and it will almost certainly make my Forgotten Television Shows segment just so I can talk about Pigs in Space.) And I don't think a little nostalgia is all that bad. Admittedly, we are running out of past to mine but I feel that this one is pretty respectable and will be a great counterbalance to the nine Beavis and Butthead DVDs that are crowding my shelves.

That's probably going to be it for tonight. I really don't feel a great need to write on Christmas (it is a holiday after all) and I certainly don't expect that anyone is waiting with baited breath to read this. I just hope that everyone had a great day spending time with their family and loved ones. If there is one thing that I have learned as I have grown older and had the gray hairs start outnumbering the other ones is that those moments where all of your family is in one place is rare. This is big for me. I spent my entire childhood in a house crowded with siblings, all of us trying to find our own place. Now we see each other only sparingly and I really long for those days when it was just the group of us and we knew that we would all be together for dinner. So enjoy those moments when you have the chance.

The five random CDs for the week (last week prior to the "No Repeat" rule going into effect)
1) Martin Zellar & the Hardways "The Many Moods of Martin Zellar"
2) Loreena McKennitt "Live in Paris and Toronto"
3) Old 97's "Too Far to Care"
4) Jay Farrar "ThirdShiftGrottoSlack"
5) Victoria Williams "Water to Drink"

No comments: