Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Alone in the office

Found out last night that Ted’s profession in How I Met Your Mother is architect, which is a real sitcom cop out if you ask me. Whenever you have to give a character a random white collar profession you choose architect. There are never any plot points around it, well except for Mr. Brady’s architectural plans being swapped with a poster while the Brady’s were at King’s Island. After that, I don’t know of any possible plot that could be used (though reusing that one would be awesome.)

So I went back to work today and apparently I was the only person back in the office today. Seriously, I think that maybe today was a holiday and no one bothered to tell me about it. You know, like in high school when your friends ditched you. Not that that ever happened to me of course but you know, the theoretical ditching. Anyway, I’m one of the few people who enjoy being in the office by myself since it means that I can actually focus and get a ton of work done without having to deal with email or phone calls or people. All of those trivial things that get in the way of real production. At least it should be a quiet week and I get a good parking spot for the only time in my life.

I did check out the list of films that are being preserved by the National Film Registry. Hoop Dreams made the list, which is awesome since it has in it my high school beating St. Joe’s in my senior year and ending Gates’ high school career. Nice to know that that moment will be preserved for all eternity. Fast Times at Ridgemont High made the list, which just goes to show you how much of an impact that the “Phoebe Cates pool scene” has had on modern culture. Plus, that film has basically every star for the next twenty years playing one role or another in it. Finally, The Rocky Horror Picture Show as included, meaning that for the rest of time drama geeks will have something to do at midnight. All in all, I’m much happier with this list than with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (how the hell can you leave off R.E.O Speedwagon?)

Out of ideas for tonight so I’ll take care of some housekeeping issues. I will be discussing my New Year’s Resolutions at the end of the week and trust me, this should be fun. Also, next week will be my second annual Battling the Current year in review where I will again be providing a synopsis of every concert attended during the year (which looks like it will be somewhere in the mid 40’s). I’ll do some book reviews in there as well. Oh, and I do have one quick book recommendation for some of my fellow readers. Pick up “The Modern Drunkard” in the humor section of your local bookstore. Great, great reading. Including “How to know if you are a drunkard. #25: You start measuring time in terms of drinks as in, “Hold on a shot.” Or “Look, I don’t have a case of Schlitz here” or the classic “I’ll meet you in a Guinness”

No comments: