Wednesday, December 21, 2005

More analysis than necessary

For those of you interested, Deal or No Deal is being shown all this week at 7 on NBC. They’re trying that Who Wants to be a Millionaire type event show in an effort to hit the cultural zeitgeist. Or maybe it was in Howie Mandel’s St. Elsewhere contract that he gets five hours of prime time exposure a decade. I almost sat down today and watched it to calculate the optimal choice at each point in the game but I like to think that I have a little bit of a life. Not that I do but I at least like to think so.

Did get to see Illinois just lay a pounding on Missouri tonight. Absolutely ran them off the floor on a national broadcast. Man, talk about getting an early Christmas present. I’m really impressed with the Illinois squad this year. I still don’t know if they are actually the number 6 team in the country but they are definitely playing better than I expected.

Since it came up in the comments and since I have absolutely no other topic in mind tonight, here is a breakdown of the characters on How I Met Your Mother and how it mirrors my own life.

Our hero Ted: Ted is a guy in his late twenties who is trying to break out of his shell and find the right girl. Which would be fine except that he is somewhat lacking in skills and tends to say things like “I’m madly in love with you” five seconds after meeting a girl. Basically, all he wants to do is hang out with his friends in the same bar time after time and just joke around and have a good time. He has two friends who are assisting in the process of trying to change his mindset and make him more outgoing. This is me in a nutshell. Heck, the guy does Red Dragon shots which is a) one of my nicknames and b) very similar to the Red Headed Slut, my personal shot of choice if just because it is my only opportunity to say “slut” in public.

Ted’s roommate Marshall: Marshall is a law student from St. Cloud, Minnesota (Erik, I swear I am not making any of this up). They’ve never gone into too much detail on his character except that he is a fun loving guy who is beginning to realize that he is about five seconds away from settling down and having a real life. This means that he not only will go off on the wild adventures like an impromptu road trip to Philadelphia but is really, really into it since this is his last shot. Absolute best scene was where he and Ted were arguing about who would get the apartment once Marshall got married and they ended up pulling swords off the wall and dueling, alternating between articulating their points and going “This is so cool” and “Why didn’t we think of this before.”

Doogie Howser also known as Barney: I don’t know if they’ve ever said what Barney does for a living. He is just always in a suit when they go out and he is definitely living life for his own enjoyment. He’s the type of guy who carries his own personal mix CD with him at all times. He will introduce Ted to random women at a bar. Other characters think that he might actually be Satan. What he really is is just someone who figures that you might as well enjoy the moment while you get the chance. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Super you probably have legal rights to sue for copyright violations here.

Marshall’s fiancé Lilly: Ok, maybe it isn’t a perfect recreation of my life. Lilly is a kindergarten teacher who still loves to go out and hang out at the bar and have a good time. There are probably a few people who would fit into this category just that none of them are engaged to anyone that I know. But anything that has Allyson Hannigan in my living room for thirty minutes a week is fine by me.

Ted’s dreamgirl Robin: The cute Canadian girl who is in the group who Ted is in love with but can’t seem to figure out how to make the leap from being friends to being an item. You know, I could expand on this but for my own sake I’ll just leave it to the reader’s imagination to fill in the gaps. But yes, this character has existed in my life before and will certainly reappear. Plus, it’s my legendary Canadian girlfriend come to life. You can’t beat that.

No comments: