Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The "taste" of "Italy"

In their commercials Olive Garden states that they send their chefs to Tuscany to the official Olive Garden test kitchens to learn the secrets of their recipes. This raises three highly questionable points about Olive Garden: 1) That they have test kitchens, 2) That they have a location in Tuscany and 3) That the individual restaurants have people that could be labeled “chefs.” Honestly, I am not sure which one is least likely to be true. Though if it is true then I think that there could be nothing worse for an Olive Garden chef to have to experience than to have an expense paid trip to Tuscany and be forced to eat Olive Garden food all day long. Would make a time share lecture sound all the more exciting.

I still remember being in Times Square and seeing the Olive Garden there and wondering who the hell goes to the center of New York just to eat at an Olive Garden. I know that it is there for dumb tourists but wow, those must be some amazingly dumb tourists.

Oh, one other part of the airport story from last night. I’m pretty sure that I brought it all upon myself by wearing an Iceland t-shirt to the airport. Have a feeling that the airlines weren’t too happy with my bringing up what screwed up their profit margins for the month and they decided to get some revenge on me for it.

I did watch much of the NFL Draft over the weekend and while I originally didn’t think the three day extravaganza would work out I have to say that it remained exciting throughout. I mean, as exciting as it can be having rich men announce which athletic men will be working for them for the considerable future. Mainly, the QB storylines made the first two nights really interesting.

I still don’t buy Sam Bradford as the number one pick and think it is a mistake. I can barely buy Bradford as a starting quarterback much less a franchise savior. There was nothing about his play at Oklahoma that would make me think differently. Tim Tebow, on the other hand, might be the most enigmatic pick of the draft. He went too high of course in terms of overall talent but of all the quarterbacks in the draft I would say he is the most likely to win a Super Bowl. He is also the most likely to completely flame out, never be able to compete on the pro level, and be a complete bust. I honestly don’t know which is going to happen. That said, he sure seems to be a great guy to have on your team.

Good old Jimmy Claussen had a tough time of it. Not as tough as he did outside of CJ’s but a tough time nonetheless. In terms of talent he should have been a first round pick and to be honest he is the one QB in the draft who is ready to play in the NFL right now. The thing is I just don’t see much upside to him. He seems like he’d be the 20th or 30th best QB in football at any given time. That would make him a starter and maybe a backup on your fantasy team but not much beyond that. I just can’t see him leading a team deep into the playoffs.

No comments: