Thursday, February 25, 2010

Screw you winter

Sorry for the lack of a post last night. I was just dead tired and had to make a decision between a) lying in bed and reading a book on pop culture or b) sitting at my desk and trying to think of things to write about pop culture. My bed was a lot more comfy last night so it won out. I also have just been absolutely spent these past few weeks. I come home from work exhausted yet I haven’t had a good night’s sleep in ages. I fall asleep easy but wake up four hours later and then am in and out of sleep for the rest of the night. I just want a good eight hours sleep. Not too much to ask.

Well, we are also in the middle of Snowmegeddon 4: The Final Reckoning here in Delaware. Or at least we are supposed to be as this storm has been rather bizarre. We had been forecasted all week to expect 6 – 12 inches of snow today and tomorrow. I woke up to snow falling but absolutely nothing has stuck. It has pretty much been snowing all day and it has all melted on contact. They are still forecasting actual snow to hit us overnight but I am at the “I’ll believe it when I see it” point.

What is more interesting is that a lot of schools closed today and they made their decision on Wednesday night. Given that we really didn’t have snow this just meant that a bunch of kids just had another day of class added to their summer for no apparent reason. What is even more interesting is that I can’t ever remember having school cancelled the night before because of a storm when I was a kid. It was always a case of waking up in the morning at the same time as always and checking the television and the radio to see if school was cancelled. Maybe they even broke out the old phone tree to inform everyone. It was certainly never announced well before the storm ever started.

In fact, the only time that I can recall having classes cancelled well ahead of time was when Chicago was forecast to be thirty degrees below zero before you even factored in the wind chill. It was pretty logical to cancel school that day given that it was basically announced that no one should venture outside due to the strong possibility of death. Now kids are given days off when it doesn’t even snow (or back in KC, because it snowed an inch.) I hate to say that we were made of hardier stuff back in my day but damnit, these kids are too soft nowadays.

Even worse is that because we have been dealing with serious blizzards this month I’d expect that kids are completely out of step with school at the moment. If I am still finding my groove at work due to time out of the office I can’t imagine what it is like for a nine year old. You really need to have a steady routine to learn and this winter has just been horrible for that. Given that I don’t have a great deal of faith in our school systems to begin with all of this snow certainly isn’t helping.

That is all for tonight. I plan on posting something a little more creative over the weekend to make up for the missed post. I think it is time to return to critical analysis of 80’s pop songs because hair metal should not be forgotten.

No comments: