Wednesday, February 10, 2010

It's like Hoth out there

Here is what is incredibly enjoyable about living in a high rise apartment with great windows. I am able to watch birds try to fly into a forty mile an hour headwind. I spent much of my afternoon doing this. These little birds would give it everything they had and would start to make progress before they were forced to give up and go in the other direction. I swore that I was going to see one try to go into the wind to just be flipped backwards. It was incredible and the few that made it through impressed the hell out of me.

Yes, I spent the day at home as Snowmegeddon kept me locked up in my apartment all day. I still worked mind you. Took a conference call, actually had the telecommuting options work, and took care of probably ninety five percent of the tasks that I needed to today. Through it all I got to watch a white out as it was just nasty out there. What was strange is that when I woke up this morning it really wasn’t that bad. The roads looked passable and it was more sleeting than anything. But man, when the storm started it was as bad as I have seen in a long time. I’m happy I was able to stay inside.

Well, Sunday is Valentine’s Day and…wait a minute. This Sunday? Quick, clear the roads. I have to get to the mall.

See, this is a wonderful example of just how much my life has changed. If you look at my blog posts for February from 2005 through 2008 you will see the exact same comments in February. I will discuss how horrible it is to be single on Valentine’s Day, how one cannot go to a bar or a restaurant on that night without wanting to wash their eyes out with bleach and how I will be engaging in my annual tradition of sitting in a darkened apartment while listening to Smiths CDs and slowly cursing humanity. One year I believe I auctioned myself off as a date for that night offering a) a free dinner at Outback Steakhouse (said free dinner not to exceed twenty five dollars) and b) a ticket to join me at the Air Supply concert that night. Surprisingly, I had no takers. Even last year I think I kept the cynical veneer up even though I knew that Kim and I were going to be in New Orleans that night so I really had no room to complain about anything in my life.

Now I even wonder how I had that view at all. I’m engaged to the woman of my dreams and I’m looking forward to the day. Sure, it is a Hallmark holiday and all and the fact that it can be turned into a huge production number bothers me but I just have to smile at just how well my life is going at the moment. I’ve spent years searching for what I have right now. Two years ago I was the quiet guy at the end of the bar trying to figure out where life would lead him. I’m still wondering where life will lead me but I now have a partner in the journey and that makes all the difference in the world.

End note and a sad one at that. I would like to note the passing of Captain Phil Harris. For those of you who watch Deadliest Catch you will know Captain Phil as the gruff leader of the Cornelia Marie who was somehow able to keep everything together from his boat to his crew to his family while crab fishing off of Alaska. He passed away this week from complications from a stroke that he suffered while unloading crab at the dock. It is very difficult to judge someone who you only know from a television show but Phil always seemed like a good guy. He looked after his sons and worked as hard as he possibly could. It is sad to see him go so early but if going while doing the work that you love is any consolation, he went out on the job that he loved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I don't know why they call it Hoth, they should call it Coldth!"
"OK, settle down."
"I'm up after the band"