Monday, August 17, 2009

Reality: Televised and Otherwise

(Yes, I know that I forgot to post last night. I’ll just say that I was preoccupied putting the details together on what will most surely be an excellent adventure. Trust me, you’ll want to watch this space over the next few months. Things will be getting mighty interesting.)

First off, I have to give a big shout out to my old friend and long time supporter of Battling the Current Patrick Starzan who has now reached the point in his career where people actually interview him. Whereas in my line of work the only question that people ask me is “paper or plastic.” However, I would like to note that Starzan had a wonderful opportunity to promote Battling the Current as his favorite non-Funny or Die website and completely dropped the ball. Ooh, Mr. “I have half a million followers on Twitter” can’t show some respect to the guy who gets 20 readers on a good day. Seriously, great work Starz…

http://www.twirlit.com/2009/08/17/hanging-out-with-patrick-starzan-of-funnyordie-com/

Also, I have to say that I find it highly amusing that both Fox’s “More to Love” and VH-1’s “Real Chance of Love 2” both had a prom episode last week. I have to give the win to “More to Love” because it featured a) women talking about how wonderful it was to have a date for prom even though they were in their mid-20’s and they were sharing the date with a dozen other women, b) women saying how impressed they were by the fact that Luke played junior college football and c) the prom queen was chosen by Luke’s best friends who seemed to be the type of guys who upon seeing them you would question anyone who was in the same room with them. However, points to Real and Chance for breaking out the Kid and Play as part of their dance moves.

You have to love VH-1 reality dating shows because of the fact that they are so unreal it becomes astounding. You have Real and Chance questioning whether the women are there for them or to just be on TV. Why? You’re obviously there to be on television otherwise the show wouldn’t need to have a second season.

Also, I did finally watch an episode of The T.O. Show and, well, that is a half hour of my life that I won’t get back. I believe that the entire episode focused on how a) he was late for a photo shoot because he was playing basketball, b) he got a new suit for the ESPYs and c) that he was dating a tall woman from Miami. Given how outlandish he can be on the field the show was so incredibly boring that it really can’t be explained. Not only is there no drama but as a viewer you have no interest in TO or anything that goes on with him. Will he make it to the Comedy Central studios? Why the hell should I care? This is a show that worked better as a pitch than in reality.

The five random CDs for the week:

1) Josh Rouse “Under Cold Blue Stars”
2) Golden Smog “Down By the Old Mainstream”
3) Various Artists (mainly the Drovers) “Blink: Movie Soundtrack”
4) Cracker “Garage D’or”
5) Arcade Fire “Funeral”

No comments: