Monday, August 03, 2009

Always raining on my parade

I would like to wish a Happy Picnic Day to my readers in the Northern Territories of Australia. Or maybe it has already happened or will happen tomorrow; I can never figure out that whole International Date Line thing. Anyway, I have to appreciate anyone who designates a holiday just so everyone could go out and have a picnic. It is so quaint.

Here is one of those strange facts of life that just show that sometimes the universe is against me. It seems that every time I fly down to Florida to see Kim my flight is horribly delayed. Last Friday Philly was hit with a freaking monsoon that left me trapped at the airport for hours before I could finally make my way out of town. I’ve had planes late getting to town, planes diverted to other cities and in one rather bizarre instance the entire boarding process was delayed because one of the folding trays would not stay in its upright and locked position. It is as though leaving Philly on a Friday night is impossible.

However, when I fly back on Monday morning so I can go to the office in the afternoon the flight is always on time. Heck, I get in early because lord knows I would prefer a few more minutes in the office than with my girlfriend. There has yet to be a single delay or issue with the flight other than a lack of overhead bag space but that is what happens on every US Air flight (the checked bag fee is the worst thing that has ever happened to the entire flying experience.) It just seems totally unfair. It is tough enough leaving in the morning. The least the universe could do is make it possible for us to steal a few more minutes together.

(Not that I am really complaining though. I would go through a lot more to make my way to see her.)

Sorry but traveling has just left me plain spent and out of ideas. I’ve been staring at this screen for an hour now and this is all I have to show for it. Some days that is just the business of writing. It just shows how much admiration I have for people who make a living at it. I love writing and I’d like to think that I have a gift for it but there are times when you sit down and there is just nothing flowing. Anyone who can fight their way through that earns my applause. But for me, I’m just going to head off to bed.

The five random CDs for the week:
1) Aimee Mann “Whatever”
2) Aimee Mann “Live at St. Ann’s Warehouse”
3) Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins “Rabbit Fur Coat”
4) Various Artists “Return of the Grievous Angel”
5) The Last Town Chorus “Wire Waltz”

No comments: