Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Nothing will ever beat 2600 baud

I hope that everyone enjoyed their free slurpee today. Personally, I am so pissed that I don’t have a Kwik-E-Mart within 500 miles of my current location. I’d have to drive through three Springfields in order to find one.

Anyway, today marks a momentous day here at the Battling the Current Media Compound. After years of speculation and complaints I have finally broken down and installed broadband internet on my computer. Yes, I am no longer using dial up. It’s a sad day for all of us to be sure.

I’m not kidding here, I’ve always used a dial-up modem despite the fact that this year marks my fourteenth year online. Hell, this is despite the fact that I knew the guys who founded Netscape. Even with that I still remained adamant about staying as low speed as possible. My official reason is that I used my high speed connection at work to do a lot of my intense web browsing and at home all I needed was a connection for email. That of course, was an out and out lie.

The real reason is one that makes sense to me and no one else. Here it is in a nutshell. I’m naturally a pretty quiet guy who tends towards interactions with the digital representations of people as opposed to their analog counterparts. So when I moved here I thought about getting broadband but I quickly realized that this would mean that I would have absolutely no reason to ever leave my apartment. I could just spend every night online and feeling as if I had a social life even if it mainly consisted of my interaction with pixels. Thus, out of a feeling of self preservation I decided that by not having broadband I would be forced to go out and meet people. Which I did, though the vast majority of those people happen to be bartenders. Funny how life works out sometimes.

But the lure of YouTube all the time has proven to be too strong so I now have a real internet hookup. The good news for everyone reading this is that it means that I’ll finally will be able to make all of the format changes and updates that I’ve been wanting to do but can’t without wasting an entire day. So hopefully I’ll be able to embed YouTube posts soon, I’ll see if I can clean the format for the first time in years and who knows, maybe I’ll start podcasting. Though given that I’m usually amazed that people want to read what I have to say I can’t imagine them actually wanting to listen to me.

So it’s an end of an era. No more modem noise every night. No more pages that don’t even bother to load. It’s kind of sad in a way. I don’t like changing things and this always made it feel like I was back in my dorm room discovering the wonders of internet newsgroups back in the days before the web didn’t really exist. When you would tell people, “Dude you’ve got to check out the alt.tv.animaniacs board”. Well, at least that is what we would tell each other. Life was rather strange in the early 90’s.

It’ll be nice joining the 21st century. Only took me six years. Next thing you know I’ll have to start watching that show 24. I heard it’s pretty good.

No comments: