Monday, October 02, 2006

Like Oz, but different...


Yes, Kansas City, where even our trees are square. Seriously, if anyone can explain the logic behind the above image please let me know. All I know is that I drive past it every day and I’m beginning to think that this town is undertaking some sort of bizarre genetic engineering experiment to banish anything round.

One note from the Bears game last night (two, really). First, it is amazing to hear “Bear Down, Chicago Bears” being sung by the entire stadium during the game. It is the official fight song of the Chicago Bears, though it is fifty years old and kind of dumb. I’m not sure if you can fire up a team with lines like, “We’ll never forget the way you thrilled the nation with your T formation” and “You’re the pride and joy of Illinois.” That said, given that the White Sox rode to victory last year on the strains of Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin” pretty much anything is possible.

(Yeah, and I’ve gained a lot more free time this October with the Sox missing the playoffs. I’m not sure that I can call a team that wins ninety games underachieving but man I was so hoping for a playoff berth. Guess I’ll probably be cheering the Twins from now on. Still, it’s a good season as long as the Cubs suck.)

(Oh and the other Bears-Seahawks note, my starting the Seahawks defense was a very bad decision and that amazes me. For the past couple of years the Bears had an offense that would score once every other game. Last night it was like the Chargers squads from the early eighties. My fantasy game (and quite possibly my season) rests on tonight’s game. Not good knowing that I need the Packers defense to show up.)

This news story hit the wires last week and obviously I need to comment on it. It appears official that Lindsay Lohan has broken up with Harry Morton. Clearly, my sympathy is with Lindsay on this matter but in reality I see this as my big chance. I mean, Lindsay needs to get away from the paparazzi for a while and what better place to lay low than Kansas City? It’s not like she’s going to be swamped by photographers out here. I don’t know about you but I view that as a perfect plan.

No comments: