Sunday, October 08, 2006

Another lost weekend...

It’s a bad sign when on Sunday I need to use a numbered list to organize all of my thoughts. It means that I’m already discombobulated and the week hasn’t even started yet. Though any reason to write “discombobulated” is a good one…

1) For clarification from last Thursday, Grant Hill and Christian Laettner are who touched the ball in the last 2.1 seconds of the 1992 East Regional Final. Brian Davis and Christian were who touched the ball in the last 1.2 seconds of the 1990 East Regional Final (technically, Christian to Brian to Christian who double clutches and fires a shot over two Uconn players to win the game). And yes, I don’t even have to look at my encyclopedia of Duke basketball to be certain of these events, which is both impressive and kind of depressing. I also knew that the two of them had been doing real estate deals in Durham, I just didn’t think that they were so successful that they could put together a bid for an NBA team. Just tells me that I should really get into real estate.

2) So yesterday afternoon they had a bar crawl for cancer in Westport. I didn’t participate because a) it’s tough for me to find nine other people willing to dedicate an entire afternoon to drinking and b) those nine would definitely not be able to keep the two pitcher a person pace required and that would mean I would need to drink five pitchers just to complete the challenge. And that, while an awful lot of fun, isn’t particularly healthy. What’s weird is that since this is held in my neighborhood I got to watch the teams stumbling from bar to bar while hitting the treadmill. There is something innately funny about watching debauchery while you are impersonating a hamster.

3) Though that did mean that last night the bars were slightly less crowded though with a few people who had way too much to drink. I did realize why I don’t go into Kelly’s much anymore, as within two minutes of walking into the place I was shoulderblocked by a guy. Seriously, he hit me like I was a wide receiver going over the middle. Personally, I don’t feel that my going for a beer should result in immediate pain. Pain the next morning, definitely, but not before I drink.

4) To the ND fans (especially Rosemary, who would probably know this off the top of her head), was this week’s game the quickest home game in recent history? It clocked in in under three and a half hours and that counts the Vonage Countdown to Kickoff report. I’ve never seen one of their games go that fast. I just remember standing in the stands during inevitable television timeouts knowing that my legs were going numb because we had to let the world know that they should watch Friends on Thursday. Otherwise it was a pretty straightforward game and we should be starting our slow climb up the polls, if only because the teams ahead of us now have to play real schedules.

5) This was another one of those organization centric weekends. It happens when I spend a day doing laundry and decide to move my closets from summer to winter. Heck, I even organized my dresser, or more accurately I organized my t-shirt collection. Yeah, I basically have an entire dresser filled with t-shirts, the same as I did fifteen years ago. Well, it’s not the same shirts. (Ok, one of the shirts is the same, but it’s a lucky shirt. Oh, and there is one that is sixteen years old but it was a gift from Meg. Is it wrong that my wardrobe has a more interesting history than I do?) Still, this was also a way to figure out what was lacking in my wardrobe and what needs to be updated so expect some shopping stories in the coming weeks.

The five random CDs of the week…
1) The Freddy Jones Band “Waiting for the Night”
2) Beth Orton “Pass in Time”
3) Damien Rice “B-Sides”
4) Freedy Johnston “Blues Days Black Nights”
5) Joan Osborne “Relish” (In the words of Darth Vader “Noooooooooo!” If you see me in the office this week in a horrible mood you will know what disc I was playing that morning. Seriously, when I build my time machine the first thing I’m doing is going back in time to kick my own ass for buying this crap.)

No comments: