Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A different musical act

I almost feel like apologizing for the last post. I think I spent a page babbling on about nothing other than to a) say that I went to a concert and b) tell a Renee story that I’ve told a dozen times already and that doesn’t interest anyone other than me and my therapist. This is what happens when I go out and expect something interesting to happen. If I take that mindset I can guarantee a boring night but if I just try to have a quiet night I can be sure that I will run into the cast of Batman and have my stalker leaving presents at my doorstep.

Still, there was something on my mind last night that I feel like I should talk about. It is a pretty serious question: Am I a poseur when it comes to music?

This started with something I read in one of the many Chuck Klosterman books that are littering my apartment right now. This guy lives the life I dream of. All he does is sit around, watch tv, drink, listen to music, smoke various substances, and write about pop culture. It’s just like how I write my blog except a) he’s actually talented and b) he gets paid for it. Anyway, one of the things Chuck is known for is that he might be the only music critic who is a fan of 80’s metal. But he even admits that he could probably pull off acting like he was a fan of alt-rock growing up. And that makes me wonder just how much of my unpaid music criticism really is an act.

I do make claims to be a punk rock kid that are at least a little spurious. Sure, I own London Calling but I’d be ashamed as a human being if I didn’t. But most of my other interests in the music come from other people. I had friends who were into Social Distortion and I knew of them through osmosis. I was a devout watcher of 120 Minutes and learned of a bunch of bands through that. Heck I have no problem discussing Black Flag and Ian Mackaye and Minor Threat and the whole straight edge lifestyle (which I could totally get behind if it wasn’t for that whole “No drinking, no drugs, treat your body perfectly” thing). But if someone called me out on it I don’t think that I could argue with them. I don’t wear the uniform, I can’t discuss the works of the Ramones in detail, and no matter how much I live the “do what you want to do and don’t give a damn about what anyone thinks of you” I’ll probably always be considered an alt-rock kid.

Except that one really isn’t true either. Or at least part of it, anyway. See, I don’t actually own any Smiths or Cure CDs. True, I had a friend in high school who dressed up like Robert Smith all the time as a fashion statement that must have made sense at the time but that didn’t make me a fan. But I think that most people assume that I was completely into that scene. Either that or they assume that I go home and listen to classical music all night. (I’m not kidding, I’ve had people actually ask me about it.)

So what is true about my taste in music? I feel that I can definitely state that I am a firm supporter of the alternative country movement (whatever that is) to the point that the highlight of my day was discovering that they are releasing Neko Case’s performance on Austin City Limits on DVD.. I’ll always believe that a person with a guitar singing what matters to them can make the world seem like a better place. And I’ll always let my interest in music take me to places where I might not usually find myself. Places where I sometimes need to take advantage of the “one quarter fiction” definition of my existence. Is that being a poseur? Maybe. But if life is a stage then you might as well put on a show.

Still, sorry for the last post. I have a really good idea for a post later this week so I’ll make it up to you. But have a happy Straight Edge day.

No comments: