Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Flotsam and jetsam

Just some comments on a random night where we should have won at trivia (if only I could have remembered the theme to What’s Happening. Rog is going to be so pissed at me now.)

1) In the “You Learn Something New Every Day” category: I found out that I should have been watching Rock Star: Supernova this summer. This was the show where Tommy Lee and friends formed a supergroup (or at least sat around on a couch and called themselves a supergroup) and held a reality show to find a lead singer. INXS did it last year and I completely ignored it and felt no reason why this year would be any different. Well, I found out today that one of the contestants this time was Patrice Pike, this great singer out of Austin who I’ve seen and own some of her CDs. She finished middle of the pack but was told by Tommy Lee that she should really attempt a solo career. Which is odd, because she already had a solo career! Maybe she wasn’t selling out arenas but she was a decently known independent artist. Also, should you be taking career advice from the third most talented member of Motley Crue?

2) In what makes no sense at all, my fantasy football team is still in the playoff chase at 4-2. This with a team of Shaun Alexander (out with a broken foot), Larry Fitzgerald (out with a pulled hamstring) and Trent Green (recovered to the point where he can nearly speak in complete sentences). Seriously, I have more depth at kicker than I do at running back and I choose my receivers based on who has at least three functioning limbs. Despite all of this, I still have a chance in the league. There are years where you have great teams and lose, this is the time when I have a horrible team and win.

3) I’ve decided that on all future job applications that when they ask for any knowledge of foreign languages that I’m going to list Klingon. Maybe it will come out in the interview, maybe it won’t, but at least that way I can show that I’m a well rounded individual. Plus, it’s not like they are going to be able to call me out on it. It’s a win-win.

4) Ok, I’ve got to chime in on the whole Madonna situation. This seems like a publicity stunt gone horribly wrong. First of all, I love how adopting a child from a third world country in the in thing to do. At one point it was owning a pot-bellied pig, then it was having a Chihuahua, now the must have accessory for celebs is a kid from a country that you can’t find on a map. Put it this way, your average celebrity is the equivalent of that girl you knew in college who one year drank Icehouse and the next year drank Red Dog and the next year drank Goldschlager because it was the cool drink that year. Second, Madonna was somehow able to adopt an orphan whose dad still lived in the village. Technically, that means that he isn’t really an orphan. So, instead of a) helping out the dad to raise the kid or b) helping the village, she just takes the kid. Seriously, doesn’t this seem like the most disturbing thing in the world when you think about it? It’s like she walked into a refugee camp and went, “Ooh that one’s cute. I’ll take that one. How much do I owe you?”

5) Dude, does anyone else remember Red Dog beer? I swear half the girls I knew in college drank it one year. It wasn’t good beer, it wasn’t light beer, it wasn’t even cheap beer. It just had a new label on it and people drank it. It was all presentation and no meaning, which is exactly why I find myself working in marketing.

No comments: